Breeze Blocks and Fasteners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking to affix shelves, cabinets, tool racks, lumber racks, etc in my shed but I'm not sure which plugs/screws to use. It's a single skin breeze block shed and I'd like to make sure everything is fixed solidly.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I am new to this kind of thing and I don't want to risk messing things up.

Any recommendations?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Look at fischers website for tech spec.
Briefly, for 8mm plug use a n.8 screw, 10mm plug n.10 screw, which must protrude 10mm or more from the end of the plug.
So if you attach a 15mm item and the plug is 40mm you will use a 65mm or longer screw.
Don't go crazy on length, as long as they stick out 10mm they're ok.
Drill the breeze block without hammer action and use a steady and confident action.
In other words, don't hung in there too long with the drill otherwise you'll end up with a volcano.

Look at fischers website for tech spec.
Briefly, for 8mm plug use a n.8 screw, 10mm plug n.10 screw, which must protrude 10mm or more from the end of the plug.
So if you attach a 15mm item and the plug is 40mm you will use a 65mm or longer screw.
Don't go crazy on length, as long as they stick out 10mm they're ok.
Drill the breeze block without hammer action and use a steady and confident action.
In other words, don't hung in there too long with the drill otherwise you'll end up with a volcano.
Thank you very much Johnny - much appreciated.

Done a bit of research and unless I'm mistaken, I can use ordinary wood screws when drilling with wall plugs into breeze block?

You could line the walls with ply , then fix to that.

Means you can make a tool board and any additions down the line are quick and easy

I wouldn't do that in a shed.
It would most likely rot the wall as there would be no breathing between wall and ply.
I would stick to simple things, unless you create a ventilation cavity between the ply and wall, but that would lose you at least 68mm.

I wouldn't do that in a shed.
It would most likely rot the wall as there would be no breathing between wall and ply.
I would stick to simple things, unless you create a ventilation cavity between the ply and wall, but that would lose you at least 68mm.
Highly unlikely to rot .Had ply on my garage wall 15 years still as good as new .

Well I never! I didn't realise that blockwork actually rots ...... I also didn't realise that I've been fixing plywood patresses wrongly for years - mine are only 34mm off the wall (not 68mm) because i use 2 x 1 (44 x 22) battens and 1/2 in (12mm) plywood which obviously can't be right coz' it isn't strong enough to hold up radiators and wash basins....

Common sense.
Walls rot, they become brittle and damp, especially single skin outdoor closed environments like sheds and garages.
A couple of years ago i took down an entire garage by hand, no tools required.
Mind you, it was supposed to be a repoint quick job.

68mm is obtained by 18mm plywood + 50mm baton (2×2), required for good ventilation. (18+50=68)
1x2 is ok but in case of dampness they are simply not enough.
All can be avoided by sticking stuff directly to the wall.
Simple things always work better in my experience.
Why complicate things that are easy?
A better option could be the metal shelves that are locked without bolts.
They're strong and reasonably cheap and a couple of fixings to the wall makes them stay there forever.
Walls will still breath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back