Breeze Blocks and Fasteners

Hi there. Make your own racking. shelving system. 12mm plywood sheet. If you get at B and Q or some wood yard they will cut for free. Cut each piece into 2400mm by 400mm or 600mm Buy 38 x 68 cls timber and use to make the racking. You can adapt the shelf height at 2.4m legths or 1.2m lengths to make things simple. This is a shot of the racking i am building in the loft. I used 12mm MDF as it inside.

loft 1.jpg

Sponsored Links
You're going short in the middle.
You can fit a much bigger shelving unit on that gable

He hasn't finished it yet so maybe he is.

And you could be more supportive and say it looks a good job rather than pulling the job apart

Common sense.
Walls rot, they become brittle and damp, especially single skin outdoor closed environments like sheds and garages.
A couple of years ago i took down an entire garage by hand, no tools required.
Mind you, it was supposed to be a repoint quick job.

68mm is obtained by 18mm plywood + 50mm baton (2×2), required for good ventilation. (18+50=68)
1x2 is ok but in case of dampness they are simply not enough.
All can be avoided by sticking stuff directly to the wall.
Simple things always work better in my experience.
Why complicate things that are easy?
A better option could be the metal shelves that are locked without bolts.
They're strong and reasonably cheap and a couple of fixings to the wall makes them stay there forever.
Walls will still breath.

How do you explain retaining walls , tanked cellars, Victorian sewers?

They all have issues with damp yet they don't "rot" hmmmm I wonder how long Victorian sewers have even there for.....

Sponsored Links
Ever heard of sarcasm?
You say one thing and mean the opposite.
Google it.
Anything done by hand is a good job.
If it lasts the test of time it's an excellent job.

Ever heard of sarcasm?
You say one thing and mean the opposite.
Google it.
Anything done by hand is a good job.
If it lasts the test of time it's an excellent job.

Erm that wasn't sarcasm , maybe you should Google it ....

Good backpedalling though !

How do you explain retaining walls , tanked cellars, Victorian sewers?

They all have issues with damp yet they don't "rot" hmmmm I wonder how long Victorian sewers have even there for.....

Difficult to explain the difference to anyone even asking such questions.
If you prefer I can say that you're right and the plywood on 1×2 is a great idea.
In fact, i'm gonna do that in my garage (no way)

Erm that wasn't sarcasm , maybe you should Google it ....

Good backpedalling though !
There was an irishman who would pass my finished doors, swing them and say "it's a bit tight" every time.
Best pea taker ever existed, and he never smiled...

Difficult to explain the difference to anyone even asking such questions.
If you prefer I can say that you're right and the plywood on 1×2 is a great idea.
In fact, i'm gonna do that in my garage (no way)

I love it when people say things like that , it always means its cause you don't know the answer

Given that one poster has had ply on his garage for 15 years with no issues seems to suggest that the op will be fine to do it too.....

I love it when people say things like that , it always means its cause you don't know the answer

Given that one poster has had ply on his garage for 15 years with no issues seems to suggest that the op will be fine to do it too.....

I give my advice based on my experience.
Others have other ideas and experiences.
The op would eventually decide what's best for them based on the pros, cons and comments about potential pros and cons.
I couldn't care less if everyone in the country would line their sheds and garages with plywood.
Hence my answer that it is the best idea ever without any cons.

Above the top shelf in the triangle going to put up those louvre panels with the boxes. Started the right side shelves. Under top shelf will be hanging some Blum kitchen drawers on 4 x 2 rails.

loft 2.jpg

Its working out cheaper and btter useage of the space i got. Plus all shelves etc tailored to my kit.

I see a workbench and a handsaw...
Are you cutting everything by hand?
If so, credit to you.
These days I don't even carry a handsaw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back