Breeze blocks, concrete, thermalite, celcon HELP PLEASE.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to build a garden shed, using Breeze blocks. I have come across many different block types but have made the following 'conclusions' from my research. I am really quite confused by it all.....

- BREEZE BLOCK - no longer exists. Replaced by thermalite blocks.

- Thermalite - is this is an "AERATED BLOCk"? light, frost resistant, can be used for first course but NOT waterproof.
However, some say that they can be used for external leaf walls?

- CELCON blocks - are these the same as thermalite/aerated?

- Concrete blocks - heavy but WATERPROOF!

- What are aggregate blocks?

So what are "STANDARD AERATED CONCRETE BLOCKS" (as per Travis Perkins website?).

My intention is to lay with the thermalite blocks (lighter, better heat transfer resistance and cheaper), a single leaf wall from foundations up and then to paint with masonry paint. Will this be sufficient to waterproof?

I am really confused as some external aerated blocks are described as being waterproof to building regs (Celcon Block Standard Grade 3.6N 440 x 215 x 100mm - JESWONS), so in my mind means they do not even need painting/sealing. For clarity, I will paint for aesthetic appeal even if not required for waterproofing.

I have read several conflicting bits of info and my lack of understanding after hours of research is actually driving me insane.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
For what you describe.

I would go for a paint grade concrete block. Because of manufacturing tolerances you can generally only get one side really good and the other will show the tolerance variations in thickness. Additionally concrete blocks are going to be reasonably robust and will take the knocks and bangs of a shed fairly well. For long life you want to use a DPC to help protect the blocks above ground.

Celcon and Thermalite are just manufacturers names and each produces a wide range of blocks.

Concrete blocks contain aggregates and variable amounts of finer aggregates. As a general rule the heavier the duty required the denser and heavier the block will be and the any air spaced between the main aggregates get smaller the denserand heavier the block is.

I really would not recommend using a lightweight block for the shed unless there is a cladding going over the external surface.

No blocks are waterproof.

For this use, look for a smooth or fair faced concrete block. You may find that for a smooth face, the blocks will be the heavier dense types, but look around to see what is stocked locally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back