Brexit mission creep

Sponsored Links
Go on then, tell us what problems you’ve had spending your pounds in Europe.
I've told you before and you admitted it was not as easy. Although in your case it was only minutes extra, but was worse.

Do you need me to dig your post out?

Conversely. Has it got easier?

Sponsored Links
On reading other reports, it looks like what happened is that the UK approached several EU countries last year, with proposals to set up reciprocal schemes for visa free travel for young people, where they could live, study and work for a number of years in each others countries. But the EU doesn't seem to like this, and wants a scheme that covers all EU countries instead.
However...

The U.K. decided to leave the EU's Erasmus+ student exchange scheme because Brits’ poor foreign language skills made membership too expensive to justify, a senior British official has revealed. Lower take-up of the scheme by British students compared to other nationalities, put down to a weak aptitude for language learning, meant London expected to pay in nearly €300 million more a year than it received back, Nick Leake, a veteran senior diplomat at the U.K. Mission said.

Leake said that the “only terms on offer” for continued participation in Erasmus during Brexit talks “would have required the U.K. to pay €2 billion more than we would have received over the course of a 7-year program” — around €300 million a year. “I appreciate that's not necessarily the only measure of success, but it makes it quite difficult,” he added. “The interests of the U.K. taxpayer is why we decided not to participate in Erasmus+.”

After leaving Erasmus the U.K. set up its own study abroad scheme, called Turing. A recent U.K.-government commissioned analysis found the replacement scheme had failed to meet its targets, with just over 20,000 people taking in the 2021/22 academic year against a hoped-for 35,000. Almost 80 percent of universities and colleges taking part in the scheme reported difficulties with the new application process.

As the general election is expected this year, with pollsters predicting a change in government led by the opposition Labour Party. Labour is yet to commit to rejoining Erasmus, but its Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has argued in favor of reviving U.K. participation in the scheme.

Politico.uk

The corrupt cesspit that is the EU has burnt too many bridges and we will no longer bail them out when they make mistakes. Good. No more scrounging from us and no more palming off problems. They will have to figure things out for themselves and learn from their mistakes the hard way.

They should've just negotiated and been reasonable when they had the chance, but hubris got the better of them and self respecting Britons walked away. I suspect their days are numbered - most of the countries are net takers and the rest are getting tired of being sucked on by unaccountable leaches - they will follow where we have led.

I know several remain voters who now agree - it doesn't matter how people voted, the wise will reflect and see that this is all for the best and that new growth must replace dead wood. Onwards!

Conversely. Has it got easier?
No better, no worse but then again, I don’t think a few extra minutes either way when entering the EU was in anybody’s mind when casting the vote.

Did you never experience any delay's before Brexit? I can remember some horrendous ones.

Although in your case it was only minutes extra, but was worse.
So what? I tried to pay a £1k deposit by bank transfer for my quartz worktop yesterday. It didn’t go through immediately and after being on hold on the phone to Barclays for over 15 minutes, I had a call from them on my other phone asking all sorts of questions in case I was being scammed. I was on the phone for another 5 minutes with them and that was ultimately for my benefit. Would you class that as 'worse'? Sometimes proper checks take time. Get over it. Would you complain if our border force took a little extra time checking passports of people coming into our country?

Last edited:
On reading other reports, it looks like what happened is that the UK approached several EU countries last year, with proposals to set up reciprocal schemes for visa free travel for young people, where they could live, study and work for a number of years in each others countries. But the EU doesn't seem to like this, and wants a scheme that covers all EU countries instead.
Of course they don't like this, if they could negotiate their own agreements there would be no need for the EU.

But immigration and Visa rules are not controlled by the EU, so it's odd for them to step in.

Sponsored Links
Back