Brexit - What if.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would absolutely pee myself laughing if the outcome of next weeks round of voting was for a delay.
But the EU said, no way.

What then?
Implosion of Tory party. Desperate plea to EU to reverse Article 50.
Even TM would have to vote no confidence in her own government, although the majority of the cabinet will have slunk out the back door by then.

Sponsored Links
It has already been established that UK can withdraw its letter of resignation, unilaterally, up to 29th. No desperate plea is required.

It can request an extension of the two-year period, but this will only be granted if all 27 remaining members of the EU unanimously agree. Some have already said that they wouldn't agree to a short extention of a few weeks or months, because it will not be enough for the UK to sort out its utter shambles. They might agree if there was a commitment to some kind of change, such as the UK agreeing to make up its mind and agree what it wants before restarting.

If the UK were to withdraw its resignation, it would have the right to start the resignation process again at a future date.

As the FT says:

"If the PM fails second time round, we would be staring at two issues.

First, will the Commons be able to agree a clear position on an Article 50 extension? A majority of MPs will certainly vote against a “no deal” Brexit in the vote pencilled in by the government for March 13. But the motion the following day, on whether the UK should pursue an Article 50 extension, is more complex.

Most MPs will want Article 50 extended. But MPs could put down different amendments calling for extensions over different time periods (say, three, nine or 21 months). The Commons might not muster a majority for any one of these. And even if it did, the EU might not assent to it.

“The chances of the UK sliding into an accidental no deal on March 29 because of a stalemate over that issue — though very small — cannot be totally excluded,” says Mujtaba Rahman of the Eurasia Group consultancy.

Let’s assume, however, that an extension is agreed. That raises the second question: an extension for what?

Advocates of a second referendum will wonder whether this is their moment. But there is still no majority for a People’s Vote in the Commons and it is far from certain that a majority will quickly emerge.

More interesting now is a Norway-style Brexit. Its advocates are preparing to make their pitch and it is striking that Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn yesterday met Conservative former ministers promoting this. But as Jack Blanchard writes in today’s Politico briefing: “The problem for Corbyn is that, as with his support for a second referendum, it’s very hard to see many of the 30-or-so Brexit-reconciled Labour rebels backing a deal that allows free movement of people to continue.”

So if Mrs May’s deal fails next week, we will move into a new world of complexity. But a powerful leader today in the Spectator is clear on what will happen: “Negotiations with the EU would travel in only one direction: towards a softer Brexit.”

Sponsored Links
It has already been established that UK can withdraw its letter of resignation, unilaterally, up to 29th. No desperate plea is required.
Agreed. I was dallying in malapropism.
I stand severely rebuked.

I would absolutely pee myself laughing if the outcome of next weeks round of voting was for a delay.
But the EU said, no way.
Worrying,,,maybe TENA for men would help.You are a man?

One cant assume pronouns these days, we are in a fluid gender age. TENA for a person is more polite :ROFLMAO:
The gender wouldn't be the only fluid thing if I pee'd myself laughing.

I was on a campsite a good while ago, near Newcastle.
I was returning from the pub, and I was approached by someone who I assumed to be the campsite owner.
His first words were, "have you paid?" in his northern Newcastle accent.
I thought he was asking me if I'd pee'd. I was about to tell him to mind his own business, when it dawned on me what he was actually saying.

Jason. I don't know why you think this funny.... If it all goes tits up as you think, it will be remainers that suffer as much as the rest of us....

Are you ill?

Jason. I don't know why you think this funny.... If it all goes tits up as you think, it will be remainers that suffer as much as the rest of us....

Are you ill?
Ironic more than funny. Be careful what you wish for, Brexiteers.

Thanks for asking but my toothache has subsided, although the tooth is still a little tender. How's your piles?

Ironic more than funny. Be careful what you wish for, Brexiteers.

Thanks for asking but my toothache has subsided, although the tooth is still a little tender. How's your piles?

They are alot better. But had blood today Managed to do my yoga yesterday and tomorrow morning is planned

If it all goes tits up as you think, it will be remainers that suffer as much as the rest of us....
But remainers didn't vote to jump off the cliff, did they!

And it's the quitters who 'think it's funny', and couldn't care less about what happens to anyone in the UK as long as they 'get their country back' :rolleyes:

But many quitters go even further.

They hope that the EU collapses, even though it is none of their business...

No wonder many Europeans just want shot of the UK!

I like the idea of a 20 month delay so we can move away from this retarded two stage negotiation process. It’s nonsense.

Pay now for possible jam tomorrow - a rookie law intern wouldn’t agree to this.

Sponsored Links
Back