Brick Acid question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm finishing off my selfbuild and I'm wanting to remove light cement marks from the brickwork, some of the marks are light stuff around the edges of the bricks and some of it is where I got caught out in sudden real heavy downpours and after throwing the hessian on the wind smudged it a bit. So what's the correct process on using brick Acid, plus if it devolves the cement marks won't it damage the pointed motor, cheers stu.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the mortar has had a few weeks to fully cure. Hose down the wall. The acid will need to be diluted to the manufactures recommendations. Then applied to the wall and scrubbed with a stiff brush then rinsed off. It won't damage the mortar.

As themiddleagedun has said your mortar will be OK. The reaction between acid and mortar stops once all the acid has re-acted with cement. It does not continue to re-act thereafter. The acid is only any good for small smears and won't remove larger blobs of mortar without repeated application.

Wear protective clothing, I use goggles and a pair of marigolds. I find a nylon nail brush handy. I cut off the bottom of a milk container to get a small tray about an inch high. put a small amount of acid in it so you can dip the brush bristles in it and apply to the affected areas. Once done I wash off with water. Have a bucket of clean water handy to deal with any accidents.

While the vast majority of bricks will be OK, it is always wise to apply to a small area first to check that they are not affected.

Sponsored Links
Don't wear a fleece. I cleaned a house down a few years back. When I went to pull my fleece off, the cuffs came away in my hand.

Whilst brick acid does not 'damage' the mortar to any great depth, it does have a detrimental effect on the finish of the struck joint. It kinda etches the smooth finish away and has a similar effect to a years worth of ageing or weathering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back