Brick back yard advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cottage and will be redoing the courtyard garden. I'd like to have a red brick floor and would like it to look like its been there for years.

Reclaimed bricks are an idea, but do I need to go for engineering bricks or are normal ones ok?

Thanks for your help

Gavin

Sponsored Links
I have an old cottage and will be redoing the courtyard garden. I'd like to have a red brick floor and would like it to look like its been there for years.

Reclaimed bricks are an idea, but do I need to go for engineering bricks or are normal ones ok?

Thanks for your help

Gavin

Gav, i'm a DIYer, but i reckon you need engineering bricks or some concrete 'lookalikes'. Normal housebricks won't last much more than a couple of years before they're disintegrating !!!

whats there at present ??
you must let it drain naturally onto the land so if you are bricking up the whole area you need to build a soakaway

Sponsored Links
At the moment the courtyard is cheap concrete paving slabs. I don't know how they were laid, but there is a small trench to a drain at the moment that I wouldn't cover up.

I did think I'd need engineering bricks, but you do see bricks dating back to the time of Henry the 8th that are still being used, they wouldn't have been engineering bricks would they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back