Brick choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody,
This is my first posting on the forum so Thanks for looking and i hope you can help,
I am looking to replace a garden boundary brick wall due to the fact the original has become unsafe mainly due to the bricks cracking and breaking up, ( more apparent over winter so suspect frost damage).
My question is when looking for replacement bricks was thinking of facing bricks how can i tell how resistant they are to frost.
I have tried looking at various websites but cant seem to get a definate defination a different codes seem tobe used. I.E. F1, F2, L, M, O.

Thanks for looking.
P.s. I am only a DIYer so answers in laymans terms please.
Thanks Dunc

Sponsored Links
Are you just replacing the odd spalled brick? Or rebuilding the whole wall? If as you say it has become unsafe then a rebuild may be your only option.
What does the existing wall look like, can you supply a piccie?.
Most bricks will resist frost if not overly exposed, does your wall have a coping or is it just getting on in years?

Thanks for your replies,
I'll be rebuilding the wall possibly from half way up unsure as yet, approx 25% of the bricks are beyond use as all the facings are breaking up and cracking. It does have concrete copings on top but again these are all loose think it is just weight holding them on as mortar has all come loose.
To be honest i think it was a cheap and poor job done before we moved in.
Will try to inclde photos if i can work out how to get them on here.
Thanks again, Dunc.

Sponsored Links
It does look like moisture/frost damage from here, no other reason springs to mind, the coping doesn't overhang by a mile does it.
The bricks bear a resemblance to Giscol "Scotch Commons", which is odd because I've never seen them spall that badly. What part of Lancs are you from? I used them extensively in and around Stockport years ago, so they should be accessible from local merchants. Also they're not an expensive brick, I'm not saying that the existing are that brick but I'd use them to patch up with anyway. Best action is to phone local merchants & ask around, get a sample & compare- they are a "multi" type brick, that is they vary a bit.

This wall displays a classic case whereby the mortar is too strong for the brick.
They are similar to a Giscol but i doubt they are Giscols.

Either way they are not suitable for a garden wall. it seems to me like a carp batch either half baked or just cheap tat.

You need a good reliable weather tolerant brick for a wall, semi engineering or similar.

Possibly a bad batch, or just like Nose said strong mix /weak bricks. I don't say that they are Giscol, but have a strong resemblance, and some of them are soft. I know this, I built my own garage from then & some have spalled. I assure you I don't use a strong mix & the duff bricks aren't particularly exposed. Sometimes the situation, copings etc just work together, is this a north face for instance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back