Brick cupboard above stairs removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I am about to smash a brick cupboard out that sits over the stairs . there is plasterboard between the top of the wall and the joists...ie it was build after the roof ceiling was boarded.
Also joist run parralell with it which I understand isnt always indicative of non supporting.

I assumed that you would never support anything with plaster board so just as a sanity check though id ask before getting happy with the hammer

Sponsored Links
I dont know what a "brick cupboard" is?

Perhaps dont do any smashing until you've posted pics on here?

OK good idea

20151007_181900.jpg

I hope to remove the wall you can see so that the current back of the cupboard is the wall in he room, the back wall of the cupboard is the wall you would see as you walk down the stairs if you look up a bit

I have looked in the loft and its plasterboard between the top of the wall and the joists

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the pic.

Are you saying that the joists in the ceiling run the same way as the wall?
If so you may safely remove the side wall.
But because the lower back wall of the cupboard will follow the slope or soffit/bulkhead of the stairs you will have to take removing the brick wall very slow and careful.

You will be left with a "hump"where the cupboard used to be.

The return wall with the new p/board, just seen in the pic, is typically the bedroom door to the landing - have you blocked it off?

Yes joists run the same way .

Yes I am.aware of the hump and plan to build a built in single bed over it :)

What I have done is divide a quite large bedroom into 2/rooms the plasterboard you can see forms one of the new doorways into each room.

I hope to remove the wall you can see so that the current back of the cupboard is the wall in he room, the back wall of the cupboard is the wall you would see as you walk down the stairs if you look up a bit

I have looked in the loft and its plasterboard between the top of the wall and the joists

Did you manage to complete your mission? If so did you take an after pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back