Brick Lights - leccy Q

Sponsored Links
I get the feeling that RickH doesn't care what is, or is not, suitable.

He's buried Hituf, and that's that - he isn't digging it up no matter what is said, and instead will invent his own definitions of "ground level" and "buried" to make it seem to him like it's OK.

Mind you - if he's buried an IP66 junction box he may have to dig it up eventually...

No, he WILL have to dig it up eventually. No question about it.

Might get away with it for 12 months if he's lucky.

Sponsored Links
I am informed what I have done is correct ... armour cable is used below ground from house and pops up behind the rear face of wall ... it's then terminated off (in suitable IP66 box to HiTuff which is used to feed the lights.

Therefore technically it's above ground level.

It is below soil of the back fill, clipped to wall, and a good 1m+ above ground level.
If it's below the soil then it's buried. I assume you'll be planting in the backfill which make's your installation frigging lethal for anyone who puts a spade in the ground at some stage in the future.

Hituff is not the stuff to be used here on a retaining wall.

Thanks for the photo. Can you not just counter bore the wall to make a gland fit snug?

I have done a job with the same layout as that wall. If its a retaining wall with soil on the back then no one will see the wall so we used galv ducting trouser boxes, and looped from one to the next with a IP66 gland from the trouser box into the wall and into the fitting. To get into the fitting I counter bored the hole on the inside of the wall with a 22mm drill bit so the whole thing sat flush when the light when fitted with a gland. I used singles but with flexible ducting the stuff that is metal inside and very tough, not to sure what it is called with the correct glands. Everything had really good mechanical protection. Should have gotten photos as it was a nice job!

The good thing with this method is that you just need one flex ducting to each light and use the trouser box for connections. I used those wago maint free connectors as well.

Looked neat and the last light I just used SWA to go into the house. With all that ducting it should last for years.

Adam

1) Of course you can - you just have to dig it out. What you mean is you can't be bothered to put right the dangerous mistake you have made.

2) If that IP66 JB is buried, what will you do when it stops working anyway?

I am so sorry Your Honour, I did know that the cable was not satisfactory and that the metal spade was going to................................................

I am so sorry Your Honour, I did know that the cable was not satisfactory and that the metal spade was going to................................................

I also guess there is no indecation the cable is there either. Or any yellow tape above the cable at the correct depth warning people there is a cable burried below. I also guess its not at the correct depth.

Maybee you should have fiberglass handle spades like the DNO guys use when digging around a live feeder!

Adam

The cable is clipped to the wall, buried under gravel separated from it by a Geotec membrane, then 150mm above that a cable marking tape .. then 1.5m of soil.

This is not a permanent supply cable .. this is a cable fed by a 30mA RCD for intermittant use wall lights.

You are a one for bizarre definitions.

In what way is a cable fixed to a brick wall and then buried not "permanent"?

And what's the significance of permanent or not anyway? Have you read 110.1 (viii)?

RickH,

What sort of junction box have you used below ground and did you fill it with sealing compound? If not then as others have said in several months time water will penetrate the box and you'll end up with lights you cant use as they trip the breaker each time you turn them on.

So you have two options, neither which you want to hear I'm sure. 1: Dig the cable up and re-run it properly. 2: Save yourself the bother now and fit a brick in the holes you have.

I'm not having a go but if you want lights which are going to work for years to come your going to have to re-run the cables.

All the best
Dan

If I did replace cable ... I could not terminate armoured cable and get it into the brick lights in a single brick space ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back