Brick Strength & Padstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some calculations through from a structural engineer for steels for a loft conversion, which says that no padstones are required assuming the existing bricks have a minimum compressive strength of 20MPa (N/mm^2). The bricks are standard solid red bricks, house built around 1930, what are the odds they'll be strong enough? Or should I get padstones/bearing plates put in just to be sure?

I'd ask my structural engineer but she takes a week to respond to any of my questions! Shouldn't complain too much I suppose, I'm paying her about a pittance for the job :p

Sponsored Links
I'd put padstones or spreader plates in to be on the safe side, I'd never rely on the strength of any one non-engineered brick.

Put the steel straight onto the brick.

In the event that someone decides that pads are needed, wind an acro prop under and replace existing brick with a padstone.

Sponsored Links
20N isn't a lot. Old red imperial bricks tend to be as hard as nails - probably 50N+. I'd probably use a padstone though, if it were me. Especially if it's easy to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back