Brick up a Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken out a doorway within my house, and wish to brick it up.
On one side it has concrete blocks, and the other side has normal bricks.

What type of brick should I use, and can I just use the metal ties that clip onto a rail to tie the new brickwork to the old ???

Sponsored Links
you can but it will look much better if you tooth out the bricks on each side of the door and continue the bond across.
use whatever bricks match the best.

Does it matter how it looks as it will be plastered ???

I was kinda thinking that me, a chisel, and "toothing out" the brickwork, could well create a disaster !!!!

if its going to be plastered then use blockwork on both skins, much quicker

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:

eh ?? :confused: :confused:

Also, what will happen to the top of the wall. It has nowt above it. It is below a flat roof, but not in line with the joists.
How do you leave the top of the wall ??? Do you literally just stop, and thats it !!

Thermo wrote:

eh ??

sorry did i not explain it properly?

the info is blockwork one skin and brickwork on the other one. Chappers suggested tooth and bonding the brickwork in, but was told doesnt matter how it looks as it will be plastered. hence the suggestion of using blockwork on both skins! Am i missing something????????? :confused:

Thermo said:
the info is blockwork one skin and brickwork on the other one. Chappers suggested tooth and bonding the brickwork in, but was told doesnt matter how it looks as it will be plastered. hence the suggestion of using blockwork on both skins! Am i missing something????????? :confused:

Just didn't understand jargon.

The top of the rectangle now is the plasterboard of the ceiling.

right letys start again and keep it simple. where is the door ie is it internal or external. what is the finish on either side of the door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back