Bricked up gap between walls and roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm looking for some advice for how to remedy what appears to be a bodge by a previous owner.
I have a standalone single story garage which I'll soon be renovating into a workshop (new plasterboard, insulation, flooring...) but I want to be sure the structure is sound and secure before starting anything.

Over the weekend I spotted some dodgy looking brickwork between the walls and the roof (see attached images). Between the rafters, one and a half bricks have been cemented, on their sides, onto the top of the wall, just below the felt of the roof. This is repeated for all the rafters. The bricks don't support any weight. They appear to have been added to plug the gap between the walls and the roof, I assume to prevent birds getting inside.

Is there a better way to keep pests out? I'm also worried these bricks block ventilation to the roof - a problem that will be exacerbated when I plasterboard the ceiling.

Many thanks

Attachments

• external01.jpg
    external01.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 124
  • external02.jpg
    external02.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 142
  • internal01.jpg
    internal01.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 127
  • internal02.jpg
    internal02.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 123
  • internal03.jpg
    internal03.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 119
  • internal04.jpg
    internal04.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
Perhaps you could remove one of the bricks every couple of metres and replace it with a ventilation brick - you can get a narrow type from Wickes that should just fit?

Incidentally, don't skimp on insulation when you reach that stage - workshops that are too cold in winter and - even worse - too hot in summer rarely get used!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back