Bricking up a window - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning a kitchen renovation and as part of that I'd like to brick up an existing window to free up more space for wall cupboards. There are other windows in the kitchen so there's no problem from a lighting point of view.

The walls are solid brick 9". My question is: in bricking up the window, am I required to brick it up to current insulation standards or is it OK to use solid brick in line with the wall that surrounds it?

If it has to be bricked up to current insulation standards, is there any way to achieve this within the 9" width of the wall? I'd like to avoid having to internally insulate the entire wall if possible - the width of the kitchen is at a premium.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Brick up to the same standard as what is there. No need to upgrade.

Thanks for the reply - is it as simple as that? Seems to be the opposite of the advice given here: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bricking-up-a-door.213202/

As for bricking up the existing kitchen door. The infill would need to meet current u-values (0.35 W/m2K). So a typical wall make-up could be...

- 103mm facing brickwork
- 90mm cavity (50mm clear, 40mm Celotex)
- 100mm blockwork (Celcon Standard)
- 13mm wet plaster

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back