Brickwork Correct??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Please could you look at the brickwork on our conservatory and tell me if this is correct.

We are hoping to move and our buyers are getting a survey done on the property and I don't want any nasty surprises of anything getting flagged up.

Do you think this looks ok?

Thanks, Joanne

Attachments

• 1524053986086165043859.jpg
    1524053986086165043859.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. The patio literally cost a small fortune. Would the paving slabs closest to the wall need to be removed and gravel put there instead?

looks fine to me.

It seems ot have engineering bricks below dpc.

distance from dpc down to external ground level should be 150mm ie 2 bricks in theory.

In practice as long as you havent got any damp issue, its not a problem.

The cavity should extend 3 bricks below dpc and if detailed correctly, the external brickwork above dpc should be isolated from the internal skin. -which should prevent damp issues anyway even if there is a lot of rain splashing above dpc.

Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate it.
There is no damp issue...i hadn't even thought about the DPC on my original post. I was more worried that the brickwork may have been joined incorrectly or needed more cement mix. I literally have no clue about any of this and my partner is away at the moment so doing it on my own. So really appreciate your advice. Just want the survey to go as smoothly as possible!
I'll read your comments to my dad and he will understand it better than I can.
Thank you again,
Joanne

It looks crap and also needs a bit of pointing, but probably nothing for a buyer to be concerned about.

I'm curious why you would single this relatively insignificant thing out of all the potential issues that a property may have.

We have literally done everything to the house since buying it with registered builders/tradesmen so I have confidence in that. We just have not touched the conservatory. That was there when we moved in. I think my inexperience is probably thinking this is a bigger job than what it actually is. I don't really know what a surveyor will look for. Just trying to rectify anything for the buyers too.

It could be made to look a bit better by raking out the joints and repointing. You could also blank out the bottom cross joint with dyed mortar and put a fake one in the correct place. Could also blank out the mitre joint.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm going to have a good read tonight. Really appreciate it.

If that's the worst there is I wouldn't bother doing a thing. The costs of doing anything to it won't be recouped in any sale price - neither will it affect the sale price in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back