Bridging A Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Just can't wrap my head around this.
In the process of fitting a TADO wireless system and need to sort out the old wired mechanical thermostat which is no redundant.
It needs to be "ON" though (as if the thermostat is turned right up to maximum) to make the system work.
So I need to bridge some wires to make this happen.
I'll attach the wiring diagram for the stat and the pic of what it looks like.
Just need to know which wires to choc together and which to choc on their own.
Thanks,
Pat.

Attachments

• Stat.jpg
    Stat.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6603 (1).jpg
    IMG_6603 (1).jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Ah - figured something out.
When the stat is turned up and the light comes on (the state I need it to be permanently), number 3 needs to be live.
So if I disconnect all the wires from the stat, I need to connect connect 1 to 3 with a chock.
Just confused at what colour wire is what as the link wire looks like it's connected between 1 and 5 and the diagram says it should be between 3 and 5.
Pat.

Link 1 and 3. All others separate.

However, it would be better to completely disconnect the other end of the cable and link whatever 1 and 3 connect to.

Thanks - thought about this, but it's inside the boiler and don't want to be playing about inside there. If I choc block it for now, at least I can reverse things if I ever move house or TADO annoys me.

Sponsored Links
Ah - figured something out.
When the stat is turned up and the light comes on (the state I need it to be permanently), number 3 needs to be live.
So if I disconnect all the wires from the stat, I need to connect connect 1 to 3 with a chock.
No need for that. You don't need those things any more.

Just confused at what colour wire is what as the link wire looks like it's connected between 1 and 5 and the diagram says it should be between 3 and 5.
Pat.
If the light was not permanently on then 1 and 3 must be the wrong way round - i.e. Line(live) in 3.

All sorted - thanks. Earths were already tied together. Black and brown (1 and 3) Wago'd together. Grey (neutral) in it's own Wago. Jobs a good un.
It had been wired wrong with the permanent live going to 3 and not 1 - that's what through me with the link cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back