Brilliant idea ???? connect 22mm pipe to 15 ? better flow ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys, thanks for all the previous help, I have now 'looked' at the problem for 24 hours, time soon to get some pipes cut !!!

OK - please hear me out, as I think Im losing my mind, BUT;

a) I have only 15mm pipes in the bathroom

b) I wish to use a 15-22-15 push-fit TEE, so that i can use all 22mm tubing to the 3/4 bath taps

MY THEORY is that by using a large dia. pipe, I am maxismising the flow rate to the bath taps

( Or at least, not reducing it any further, if i used 15mm pipe with 15mm elbows etc )

IS my theory correct ?

or will using 22mm pipes on a 15mm source, be a problem ? i was thinking that it might affect the ' load ' IE 15mm flowrate , having to 'push' 22mm water load ?

BASICALLY, I didnt think fitting 15mm pipe, with all the elbows etc would be a good idea, as it would reduce the flow rate even further..........combi boiler is powering the system, even still, 15mm pipes for bath taps ?

* ALSO, can I connect up plastic pipes all the way right onto the bath TAPS ( 3/4 to push-fit connector ) OR SHOULD I use flexi-pipes to make pipe to tap ?

Christ, I wish they taught this at school, its bloody far more difficult than first meet the eyes !!!

cheers

:eek: Boogsy

Sponsored Links
I agree with kevplumb, and don't use flexies.

ok, sounds like using 15mm is fine.

BUT is there ANY advantage in hooking up 22mm piping to the 15mm source ?

and I mean ANY, as I WILL DO IT :D

if it is 10% better or more, Id like to use 22mm !!!!

cheers !!

Sponsored Links
forgot to say,, i want to use all plastic pipes, ive seen that the 15mm push-fit INSERTS reduce the bore quite a bit., thus my idea of using 22mm where it wont matter........

good logic ? or am i talking jibberish ?!! ;)

Well you asked for advice/thoughts, you got it. If you want to use 22mm, who cares? It would save time on postings which you could use to get on with the job. Nobody knows how many joints and elbows you would use on each of the different sizes, so they can't tell you what the performance difference would be. Just do it.

Don't forget to bridge your earth connections (safety and regs) if you use none metal pipes.

Also make sure you use an appropriate pipe cutter, sawn ends will bamage the seals in pushfit fittings. You should have enough flex in the plastic to compensate for not using flexi connectors. Also try to bend the pipes instead of using elbows but not too tight that you kink them, this will give a smoother flow thro' the pipe. Unless its a very long run stick with 15mm throughout

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back