British Covid-19: more dangerous than most

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, it turns out that the British Covid-19 strain is significantly more lethal than the historic strains. All the more reason to get vaccinated, and might result in more restrictions on our ability to travel abroad in the future.
Individuals infected with the variant of concern, identified at UK community test centres, were between 32% and 104% (central estimate 64%) more likely to die than equivalent individuals infected with previously circulating variants
The absolute risk of death in this largely unvaccinated population remains low, but clinicians and public health officials should be aware that a higher mortality rate is likely even if practice remains unchanged

So with the old variants of Covid-19 it was (roughly) a 1% chance of death, with British Covid-19 it is more like 1.5%

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n579

Sponsored Links
So, it turns out that the British Covid-19 strain is significantly more lethal than the historic strains. All the more reason to get vaccinated, and might result in more restrictions on our ability to travel abroad in the future.

So with the old variants of Covid-19 it was (roughly) a 1% chance of death, with British Covid-19 it is more like 1.5%

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n579
Why do we need to get vaccinated ?
Was it you or that numpty in the suit of armour on his profile pic who’s response to the fact that the vaccine doesn’t stop you catching or spreading Covid said the “the vaccine will stop serious symptoms “
So wtf is the point of being vaccinated to be able to go abroad or do other things in life in future ?
If two different people go to the same country and one has been vaccinated and one hasn’t and they both Supposedly caught Covid then the only difference is that one will have symptoms but one won’t.
But they still will both have Covid.
So basically what the government are saying is you can take Covid to a foreign country but you can’t take it whilst showing symptoms :D:ROFLMAO:.
But hey ho let’s throw the country into complete pandemonium and billions of pounds of debt due to a 1% chance of something.
Plus where is 0.5% seen as significant ?:eek:o_O.

Why do we need to get vaccinated ?
Vaccination makes it much less likely you'll die, or have any detectable infection, and obviously less likely to have long term symptoms.

It also makes it less likely for you to be able to infect anyone else, although the numbers are harder to prove that. But the early studies imply its true.

Plus you might be able to go on holiday, which would be nice. God knows what your insurance premium would be without a vaccine, even assuming you'd be allowed into the destination country.

Thing is you hear that either the vaccine will or won't stop you spreading Corona. They don't even know because the vaccine is so experimental. But they're probably going to base a vaccine passport on not knowing the science. Just to be on the safe side. :rolleyes:

When the government are compelled to be more accurate when recording Covid mortality and the numbers don't have the same fear factor, new variants (that could/maybe/possibly be more infectious/dangerous/lethal - DELETE AS APPLICABLE) are possibly what will extend lockdown. I've never seen any credible evidence about these 'variants'.

Sponsored Links
Vaccination makes it much less likely you'll die, or have any detectable infection, and obviously less likely to have long term symptoms.

It also makes it less likely for you to be able to infect anyone else, although the numbers are harder to prove that. But the early studies imply its true.

Plus you might be able to go on holiday, which would be nice. God knows what your insurance premium would be without a vaccine, even assuming you'd be allowed into the destination country.
So are you saying as someone who won’t be getting vaccinated ,that due to that, I will be forced to be vaccinated more than once and maybe yearly to stop and virus with a less than 1% chance of death.
On a percentage scale are there any other viruses, etc with the same 1% chance of death that we are forcibly vaccinated against ?
I have not done the research so that is a genuine question.
Are there any other viruses or disease with a 1% death rate that the human population of the uk are forcibly vaccinated against in order to travel ,potentially enter certain premises or purchase certain goods etc ?
Also my other question is are you seriously stating that a figure of 0.5% difference is classed or considered as SIGNIFICANTLY of VERY SLIGHTLY?

Between mid 2019 to mid 2020 the chances of dying from influenza were something like 5.7%
So that is way over 5 times more than the chances of dying of Covid .
So therefore why are/were we not being forced to have a flu vaccine ?

So are you saying as someone who won’t be getting vaccinated ,that due to that, I will be forced to be vaccinated more than once and maybe yearly to stop and virus with a less than 1% chance of death.
On a percentage scale are there any other viruses, etc with the same 1% chance of death that we are forcibly vaccinated against ?
I have not done the research so that is a genuine question.
Are there any other viruses or disease with a 1% death rate that the human population of the uk are forcibly vaccinated against in order to travel ,potentially enter certain premises or purchase certain goods etc ?
Also my other question is are you seriously stating that a figure of 0.5% difference is classed or considered as SIGNIFICANTLY of VERY SLIGHTLY?
Yellow fever has a mortality rate of around 3-5%. Although that's probably inflated because only people who haven't been given a vaccine catch it and they're probably also people who won't have access to decent healthcare. Yellow fever vaccines are required for entering many countries where it's prevalent.

Measles is less than 1%. Mumps is well below that.

A 50% change in absolute risk is significant. A 50% reduction in absolute risk would have saved 60,000 lives. What you keep forgetting is that without control measures something like 90% of the UK would catch Covid-19 before it sputtered out, which would mean 480,000 dead, or with British Covid-19, 720,000.

Yellow fever is higher in adults (I think) Maybe 25%.
I had to have it before going to kenya

The COVID vaccine isn’t just to prevent deaths, it also drastically reduces the worst effects.

Yellow fever has a mortality rate of around 3-5%. Although that's probably inflated because only people who haven't been given a vaccine catch it and they're probably also people who won't have access to decent healthcare. Yellow fever vaccines are required for entering many countries where it's prevalent.

Measles is less than 1%. Mumps is well below that.

A 50% change in absolute risk is significant. A 50% reduction in absolute risk would have saved 60,000 lives. What you keep forgetting is that without control measures something like 90% of the UK would catch Covid-19 before it sputtered out, which would mean 480,000 dead, or with British Covid-19, 720,000.
Is a flu vaccine mandatory considering the death rate or chances of transmission?
Because last time I checked,it wasn’t.

The flue jab is altered annually, in theory you could say that that’s a new vaccine.
No one seems to complain about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back