BRITISH GAS ASSESSMENT HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all got a practical assessment coming up for a technical gas engineer role can some1 please give me a heads up as too what expect please....

not all the sell ur sole, b a salesman, brown nose and all the other banter please im already hearing all that off my current gaffa....

all i want to know is exactly whats involved in the 2hr practical assessment....

cheers folks

Sponsored Links
should be a walk in the park m8.
if you got this far you are obviously qualified so as far as i know it is just an interview so smart and well presented should be fine.

if you really are worried call the number on the letter and ask what is required of you during the interview, it shows confidence and that you ain't scared to ask if not sure about something, as BG are big about team work but also like it that you can work effectively alone.

things they dont like.

earrings, tattoo`s and body rings eye studs etcbeany hats,hoodies.. lol.
they will be doing a CRB check to so if you have 1 that will impress them so apply for 1.
take all your qualifications with you and take copies of them too so they can keep there own back up (they will do this anyway it just looks better if you have already done it )
put everything in a nice folder in plastic wallets and a folder.
look organized with your paper work as this is a big thing in BG.
turn your phone off.
dont lie about your experience you will be found out in 2 min flat.

and most of all good luck..
smile.gif

Should imagine there will be a wiring board, they will want electrical tests dead tests etc. There wont be anything complicated but they will be red hot on working safely. Would presume they will expect you to id a few components with resistance checks to say if they are ok or not.

hey guys appreciate the replies...

does any1 here actually work for BG as a service & breakdown engineer?

whats a typical day normally consist of(do u have to carry out certain number of jobs ect)?????

Sponsored Links
I know lots of guys still there now and without exception all hanging in to retirement or voluntary redundancy. The salary is OK but forget any bonuses they offer you the only way to achieve them is hard sales, fiddling figures or brushing off faults. They monitor your travel real time, van trackers, phone trackers, ringing and checking with customers etc. The ACS is now done on the job by bg assessors so when you leave now your ACS will finish the day you leave. Hours are great in summer and awful in winter, equipment and tools is great, holidays are good. Carries much more bs than most other big companies and howevever its dressed up your priorities are sales and safety (by which i mean dont have any sort of accident) which are measured relentlessly wheras your customer satisfaction and first time fixes and diagnostic skills will go unnoticed in the main. Good luck.

hey ollski thanks for the reply, wow it sounds prettt stressfull lol, what does ur avergage day consist of some ppl been telling me 8 services per day minimum surely a full strip fown service it would be impossible to do 8 per day or is it just myths.??

I know lots of guys still there now and without exception all hanging in to retirement or voluntary redundancy. The salary is OK but forget any bonuses they offer you the only way to achieve them is hard sales, fiddling figures or brushing off faults. They monitor your travel real time, van trackers, phone trackers, ringing and checking with customers etc. The ACS is now done on the job by bg assessors so when you leave now your ACS will finish the day you leave. Hours are great in summer and awful in winter, equipment and tools is great, holidays are good. Carries much more bs than most other big companies and howevever its dressed up your priorities are sales and safety (by which i mean dont have any sort of accident) which are measured relentlessly wheras your customer satisfaction and first time fixes and diagnostic skills will go unnoticed in the main. Good luck.
Most of what you've said is simply not true...

Bonus is easy to get - it's based on first time fix, first time diagnosis and parts costs, then an extra bit based on customer feedback surveys. Only have to get 6.5hrs out of an 8hr day in output to qualify for bonus each month. Sales are nothing to do with bonus, you just get a very small amount for each sale (not % based, you won't make a living from it!).

Vans are NOT monitored real time, your location is only taken every few minutes - they have no way of knowing how fast you're going etc. Phones are not tracked unless lost/stolen.

ACS is still done the same as everyone else, every 5 years. You are assessed in-house once a year and it's a doddle unless you're incompetent.

Winter is tough but Summer I'm doing 3 and 4-day weeks, with some clever annual leave choices most of the 4-day weeks are 3-day too :) .

Safety is taken VERY seriously, you need to be on top of it. Sales are definitely not the main priority these days.

hey guys really appreciate the feedback....

regarding the 2hr practical some folks r telling me i will have to service a back boiler and r/s boiler, will i be provided with manufacturers instructions or will i have to conduct full strip down services???im saying this cuz ive not really serviced back boilers that much but the times i have ive done the BBU and theyve taken me a good couple of hours to do it fully as per mi's instructions.

also what kind of diagnostics checks will they want me to do??

Yes OK it's easy to get a portion of you cut your first time fix down so you can go back with a part and get the second time fix for 25℅.
Vans have telemetrics which show everything and as long as someone's looking at it they are monitoring whenever the key is in the ignition.
ACS went in house the start of this month assessed by bg qaes
Apparently the future of the business depends on selling Hive from the top brass, that seems like a priority to me. To be fair though I haven't worked there for a while.

Where are you doing this practical rookie? a bg assessment centre or a local venue?

ive got a face to face this week in a hotel and i believe a practical up in leeds the following week but the recruitment ppl rang to change my face to face times now wen i login to bg website my 2hr practical slot isnt ther anymore so dnt really no if ile be assessed in this hotel or what??

just really want to no as to what more is involved and if they want me to service will i get mi' s instructions???

They won't try to trip you up, if you have to service you will have mi's or bg servicing policy. They used to do all the interviews in a local venue with just a few system boards, air pressure switches, valves etc but if you're near an assessment centre I would imagine they will expect a service and diagnosing a fault on a boiler like a dislodged aps tube or something.

Since crystalclear mentioned appearance I'll mention the need to avoid text-speak in any written paperwork. Old farts don't like it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back