British gas interview

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice if possible.

I have an Assessment day for a service fitter role for British gas next week and am just stuck on a few things

1. Is this a shirt and tie formal interview, where i show them my certificates and get asked a few questions?
2. What exactly is an assessment day
3. what is the interview process like for this company?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
gasright said:
hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice if possible.

I have an Assessment day for a service fitter role for British gas next week and am just stuck on a few things

1. Is this a shirt and tie formal interview, where i show them my certificates and get asked a few questions?
2. What exactly is an assessment day
3. what is the interview process like for this company?

Thanks for any help

Dont get too hyped up matey b.gas would employ a chimpanzee if it could do the job, just take yea brain but if i where you close the door in their faces.

Couldn't tell you what an assessment day is like but at the end of the day they are definitely going to be looking for smart appearance and good customer skills....as long as you have this bob is right they could train a chimpanzee to do the job. I would guess they are going to be pretty hot on safe working practices aswell.

Considering some bosses will expect you to wear a shirt and tie to work each day best wear one for the assesment day.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that, just wondering. Looks lkike the assessment is for an hour. Does that meen it'll be a face to face interview where they talk to me about the company and check my gas tickets?

In an hour, they should start by explaining the job and what you will be expected to do (a) at first (b) after a year or so. Ask any questions so you understand what is expected of you. Also ask how new employees usually take to get up to speed and how they learn anything new. Try to find out what they're looking for in an ideal candidate (so that, later in the interview, you can mention how you have those attributes)

Towards the end, if they think you're a good bet, they should tell you about salary scheme, pension, sports and social club - things that are of no interest if you don't get the job but should attract you to the company.

Then, they will be looking for evidence of whatever you said in your application form/CV; and also to assess your character/are you the sort of person you are. Try to imagine yourself into the job, and answer and behave as an established employee would (but don't try to misrepresent yourself).

"I have much experience of X"

"Tell me about a time when you had to do X"
"What problems do you find when doing X, and how do you overcome them?"

"I am thoroughly trained in Y and am qualified to 16th Edition"

"In 16th Edition, what are the requirements for safe isolation of a high-pressure supply in a commercial kitchen?"

"I have a friendly and co-operative attitude to my colleagues and customers"

"Please work with Chimp here to assemble this Lego into a Christmas tree, while we observe you" (this one is more common for supervisors/managers)

"What kind of people to you find it difficult to get on with? Give an example. How did you minimise or overcome the problem"

At the end, they should ask if there's anything more you want to ask. Have some Q's ready (write them down and take your notebook with you so you can write down things you don't want to forget). Have a pen in your pocket. Don't ask "how much money can I make? How much paid sickness can I have?" Ask "what training can I get? What's a typical career progression for the first 5 years?"

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/Interview1.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back