British Gas cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had cavity wall insulation installed by British Gas in May 2015 (the type they blow into the wall) however now I need to know what material they used so that I can check compliance with building regs. I am having some more work done and building control want me to install external insulation which might be avoided if I can prove the cavity insulation meets 0.55/w/m2/degree K. British Gas insulation can't be contacted anymore since they no longer offer that service. Does anyone know what product they used typically around then or a route to the information for my particular installation.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have any paperwork for the work?

British Gas should still have records from last year.

I am having some more work done and building control want me to install external insulation
Have you contested this via a competent designer? Would it be simpler to insulate via the internal walls?

I do have paperwork but the box marked 'Material used' has been left blank. I phone BG on the number on the paperwork but there is just an automated message instructing that BG no longer do loft and wall insulation.

Sponsored Links
I am having some more work done and building control want me to install external insulation
Have you contested this via a competent designer? Would it be simpler to insulate via the internal walls?

Maybe. I would have to move radiators but it might look better than the block effect you get around windows with external insulation.

I do have paperwork but the box marked 'Material used' has been left blank. I phone BG on the number on the paperwork but there is just an automated message instructing that BG no longer do loft and wall insulation.

:mrgreen: On a serious note if that was me I'd be on the phone until I got the answer. A company like bg to have a department that disappears like that is totally unacceptable as you are probably not the first to query it and really a fuking info page with data would have been enough for at least one of their phone w@nkers to refer you to while he's sitting there picking his arse.

sparer, hi.

Get a hold of B/G e mail for their chief executive it will be hidden somewhere, then send him an e mail, do not FFaf about with B/G "Customer Relations" that just spin you around and around, or if using the phone to the Customer relations ask for the CEO e mail and do not give up until you get that e mail address.

Why? because the CEO will not want to have his highly paid staff answering what to him / her are irrelevant questions from Joe Public.

As an aside why have B/G pulled out of this particular market? could be because of the Cowboys installing this stuff have caused B/G enough trouble by way of Insurance claims because of small, medium. massive internal damage due to bridged cavities and poor installation.

How do i know? because I work in the Insurance merry go round and failed cavity wall insulation claims are shall we say on the rise?

One other way of finding your answer is if you can find the installer? He will have pulled up the drawbridge and sloped off

There are now several Companies that at one time installed this stuff but have morphed into Companies that remove the fill.

Just keep plugging away on the phone e mails and somewhere down the line you will get an answer, annoy the crap out of them, tell anyone on the phone you are recording the call and ask for their name, simple tricks as that work miracles.

Ken

sparer, hi.

Get a hold of B/G e mail for their chief executive it will be hidden somewhere, then send him an e mail, do not FFaf about with B/G "Customer Relations" that just spin you around and around, or if using the phone to the Customer relations ask for the CEO e mail and do not give up until you get that e mail address.

Why? because the CEO will not want to have his highly paid staff answering what to him / her are irrelevant questions from Joe Public.

As an aside why have B/G pulled out of this particular market? could be because of the Cowboys installing this stuff have caused B/G enough trouble by way of Insurance claims because of small, medium. massive internal damage due to bridged cavities and poor installation.

How do i know? because I work in the Insurance merry go round and failed cavity wall insulation claims are shall we say on the rise?

One other way of finding your answer is if you can find the installer? He will have pulled up the drawbridge and sloped off

There are now several Companies that at one time installed this stuff but have morphed into Companies that remove the fill.

Just keep plugging away on the phone e mails and somewhere down the line you will get an answer, annoy the crap out of them, tell anyone on the phone you are recording the call and ask for their name, simple tricks as that work miracles.

Ken

You should get some facts before spouting shiit around, they closed due to costs involved as it was being offered free, reason being because they supply gas and electric they have to be shown to be helping customers to reduce energy therefore by insulating homes hopefully reduces gas and electric bills, if they didn't meet a certain criteria they induced massive fines so the best option was to offer free insulation, win win both ways really (people didn't really have to have it done).

Not really cowboys, mistakes do happen and sometimes houses get filled when someone misses something. Some would call insurances cowboys cos they grab all the money and then some jobworth's such as yourself comes out and refuses to honour the claim even though that customer has paid their premiums for years. Not being rude just a thought.

Cgas good evening.

"refuses to honor the claim even though that customer has paid their premiums for years. Not being rude just a thought."

A bold statement???

Sorry. but when I work on such claims i work for a "loss Assessor"

Suggest you check up on the difference between

1/. An insurer.
2/. A Loss Adjuster, [who is closely involved with an insurer]
3/. A loss Assessor? what is that? someone who is asked by the Insured Person or Company , not the Insurer to get the best end result for the Insured.

Where do you stand?

Insurer?
Loss Adjuster?
Work for the Insured Person to try to ensure the Insured is not sold down the river by both the above???

Cgas good evening.

"refuses to honor the claim even though that customer has paid their premiums for years. Not being rude just a thought."

A bold statement???

Sorry. but when I work on such claims i work for a "loss Assessor"

Suggest you check up on the difference between

1/. An insurer.
2/. A Loss Adjuster, [who is closely involved with an insurer]
3/. A loss Assessor? what is that? someone who is asked by the Insured Person or Company , not the Insurer to get the best end result for the Insured.

Where do you stand?

Insurer?
Loss Adjuster?
Work for the Insured Person to try to ensure the Insured is not sold down the river by both the above???

As stated above I wasn't being rude, you just said insurance so you could of been any of the above 3 you've mentioned, I'm probably on the complete opposite end what I mean by that is I usually get shafted by insurances typically car insurance, hence the tension but it wasn't aimed personally just generally. Maybe I'm hard done to or just enjoy winging, apologies for jumping to conclusions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back