British Gas / Ideal RD2 450 Sensor Layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after some opinions here.
I have recently opened the case on the boiler again due to (another) sensor failure.
By chance I happened to to see the 'layout' page in the manual, available here:
Ideal RD2 Manual - Section 12 - Page 15

My system is fully pumped, so table 6.
Access to the rear of the RH side of the boiler (when viewed from the front), is not possible, but I can see that there are no connections at the back of the boiler on the LH side (apart from a drain tap) - which in turn I think places me at row 3 of the table.

That would say that the sensors (at the front) should be in the following positions;

'Flow' sensor should be TOP RH
'Return' Sensor should be BOTTOM RH
'Overheat' should be BOTTOM LH

However, below is a picture of my boiler;

To me it looks like the Overheat is in the wrong location, being TOP LH (with the thin copper 'pipe' from it).

Now my boiler has always been like this as far as I know, but is it wrong / right? Should it be corrected? If so am I able to do it (ie. 'allowed') - I presume it is a drain fo the system, remove the fittings and refit in the correct location with PTFE tape or similar to seal?

Or am I missing something somewhere and it's fine as is?

NOTE I've never (yet) had an overheat condition, and my thinking is that with it at the top it would perhaps trigger earlier than it is supposed to, which it hasn't done? (but I could be wrong thinking this too!)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
From boiler design principles I would expect the OH stat to be at the top left.

Tony

Cheers Tony, I would agree, it certainly seems to make sense (even to me as a layman) to be in that top left position, but that also seems to be at odds as to what the manual says... perhaps the manual is wrong?
It would seem strange to me to have the O/H sensor effectively directly above the combustion chamber (which it would be if it was in either bottom pocket).

Not for that reason though!

Hot water rises but more relevant is that when correctly connected the return is at the bottom and the flow at the top and the water is pumped in that direction.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back