Dual radiators on a single thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes, to fit a room better, you need to have two radiators instead of one installed. Most people then fit two thermostats, cheap if they are only the manual ones (which I hate), but expensive if its modern programmable ones with a remote thermometer (which I have several in this house.

Some planning needs to be done beforehand as the hot water supply and return must be between the two rads to be fitted.

You need to do the following:-
1) From hot to either the right hand or left hand top rad connection. I will use the RH as the first from now on but its immaterial really. There fix the thermostat and the hot supply in.
2)On the other end of the same rad at the top fix the air bleed, underneath the same end, the hose connection for emptying the rad for redecoration purposes.
3) Come out of the bottom connection under the thermostat and connect to the top connection or the second rad, in my case that will be the top RH connection on the left Rad. This means that the water exiting the RH rad bottom LH connection, will enter the top RH connection on the LH rad.
4) Top LH connection on LH rad needs an air bleed and at the bottom on the same side a a hose connection for emptying the rad.
5) Bottom RH connection of the LH rad needs a stop/adjust valve that is used in two ways to be fitted, a) to adjust the flow resistance (see my balancing of rads procedure) and to shut off completely when needing to remove the rad for redecoration purposes.
6) Connect from this valve to the hot water (cool or cold) return.

This system is in use in two places in our house and works exceedingly well, far better than I ever expected really and saves a lot of money with regard to the expensive radio thermostat valves that we use....
We have not noticed any temperature differences per side in the rooms where this system is fitted (lounge which was two rooms and kitchen which is over 100 sq feet.)
See also my Size of rad Post, not yet written!! as of today.....maybe later!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back