British Gas WL2 thermostat / receiver not pairing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've done some digging around the web and on the forum and can see others have succeeded in reconnecting / pairing the thermostat with the receiver using the hive instructions here as the models are similar via a previous thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...d-of-instructions.478711/page-2#ixzz6klRowb8S

Whatever I try I can't get the receiver to display any lights to then pair up with the thermostat.

I've tried factory reset on the dial, I've tried turning the boiler off at the switch board and then holding down the silver reset button on the receiver for 10 seconds - this does nothing.

I have also tried to hold the heating button down to reset the receiver.

Does anyone else have any pearls of wisdom? I have inherited this set up from the previous owners of the property and so don't have any british gas cover

Thanks again,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Pete50 sounds like some sort of expert, let’s wait for his pearls of wisdom.

But are you removing the batteries in the thermosta then pressing the buttons then putting tha batteries back in at the correct time, like it tells you in the link that you yourself posted

Sponsored Links
I have followed the hive instructions here:

1 Remove the batteries from the thermostat.
2 Switch off the boiler and receiver.
3 Wait at least 5 seconds, then turn the boiler and receiver back on. The receiver’s status light will begin to flash AMBER.

At this stage ^^^ nothing lights up on the receiver

4 Press and hold the heating button for at least 10 seconds – until the status light begins to flash WHITE. The receiver is now in ‘stand-alone’ mode and is searching for a thermostat.

^^^
The heating button I have on the control is a boost button on the top of the console - holding that in for 10 seconds doesn't do anything, when I release it asks if I want to boost the heating for 1hr

5 Insert the batteries into the thermostat, press and hold down the menu and back buttons on the thermostat and follow the factory reset instructions on screen. After about 10 seconds, ‘Welcome’ and ‘Searching…’ will be displayed on screen. If the thermostat shows ‘REJOIN’ then try steps 1 and 5 again.

^^^ this doesn't occur.

----

I've also tried a few different variations of turning the boiler off and then powering it back up and holding down the reset button on the receiver and that hasn't worked either.

Updated link for image (sorry not sure how I am supposed to correctly upload)

https://ibb.co/xgR4vwy

SOrry I should have done this earlier - does that help @picaso

The boiler is Ideal Icos HE18 @ianmcd

Boiler is up and running and working perfectly fine for hot water.

You can put pics into your reply by "copy and paste"

What was the origional problem ? did you just swap the batteries or had it stopped working so you are trying to pair it ?

What was the origional problem ? did you just swap the batteries or had it stopped working so you are trying to pair it ?

HEating stopped a couple of days ago with nothing displaying ob the thermostat so I replaced the batteries and haven't been able to pair since.

HEating stopped a couple of days ago with nothing displaying ob the thermostat so I replaced the batteries and haven't been able to pair since.
Most likely you need to replace both units , nothing wrong with the batteries, the receiver has packed up , lesson learnt dont Hi-Jack or quote other posts as being the same as yours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back