British Gas

C

catmando

Dear all,

I need to upgrade my old central heating system which consists of a costly to run back boiler.

I want a combi boiler, new fire, radiators and possibly a power shower.

What are your opinions on British Gas? Are their costs reasonable and work up to a high standard? Alternatively I would'nt know who to use!

Will they need to replace all pipework?

TIA

Sponsored Links
ask friends/family who they have used and then check them out on the corgi website. past experience has shwon me you can get a good or a bad bg installers, unfortunately you don't get to choose. if other people are satisfied with someones services you couldn't ask for any more. you may find bg to be the most expensive, i think a lot of commissions are added on for sales reps etc (i'm not sure though)

i like bg (some one has to) if i wasin your shoes, i would try yellow pages, get several quotes (inc bg)

but let me ask you this.

how may of you are there in the household?

if more than 2 i would not get a combi, as although they save space, you can only have 1 tap (hot or cold) on at a time since cold will deplete supply to boiler,so hot flow is just a a trickle

it can be good if mrs is in shower and she has upset you, you turn on cold tap downstairs, instant cold shower

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys...

I am tempted to use British Gas I think.........

There are two and a half of us in the household.....my daughter at weekends....you say you would not get a combi..what would you get a condensing boiler then?

What do you guys recon this is gonna cost me....more the £2000 you think?

Thanks for the heads up on the Corgi website....didnt even know there was one!

TIA

two is ok, its the half thats the problem ( I was being serious) as i mentioned a combi is good for 2, will give hot water all the time (no tank to empty) but whn one is in shower no one can do much else.

I would suggest back boiler , and some one other than bg for quotes

i wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't really know what they are talking about. Maybe listen to somebody who actually is corgi reg'd and in the business.

you are right
weargas said:
i wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't really know what they are talking about.

i have a combi so i do know the pros and cons

that wasn't a dig at you personally breezer. i just think this thread is gonna see a lot of people give catmando advice without knowing what they're talking about.

Last year BG quoted £3100 reduced to £2900 for installing central heating in a two bedroom terraced house. That was combi boiler and five radiators so I can't see you getting what you want for £2000 by BG.
A second firm quoted £2600.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BG normally sit around 20% above market rate, but at least you get a good guarantee and you know there will always be someone there when you have problems. If you go for a condensing combi you will have them aswell.
If you ask people who have had work done many will tell you the bad guys from BG normally turned out to be contractors ;)

SOmetimes BG quotes are outrageous, sometimes pretty average. As implied above, you may get BG to quote but you have no control over who does the work. They sub it out - you might get the plumber from round the corner, but rushed off his feet cos BG pay lousy rates for subcontracting - I've been there.

As Chris says BG give totally over the top quotes

2000 to 2500 would be fine

as to the pros of a combi. Breezer is a little bit mistaken when he says you can only have one tap on at a time. If the water supply into the property is sufficient and the draw offs (taps) have be correctly balance (via pipe sizing and/or balancing valves) a modern combi (or better yet a storage combi) can cope admirably in your situation

Also (just to bring Breezer up to date) as of April 2005 you will NOT be able to fit a Back Boiler. By the way Breezer out of interest why on earth did you recommend one? as they are now so out of date, both in technology and energy efficiency, and add to that the fact that they are open flued and have awful looking fire attachments.

My tuppence worth is the same as everyone else

The mOre QUOTES the better.

Yeah I don't fancy another back boiler.....mine is costing me a lot to run, my gas bill is over £45 per month at the moment for a small 3 bed semi and we dont even cook on gas, the cooker is electric. Plus I wont to get rid of the grotty water tank!

I have been looking on the Corgi website and found someone near me listed but it doesnt give you any information or comments on them unfortunately.

I think I will ring BG today and this chap near me and get them both to quote.

By the way corgiman what is the difference between a combi and a storage comnbi?

TIA

corgiman said:
Also (just to bring Breezer up to date) as of April 2005 you will NOT be able to fit a Back Boiler. By the way Breezer out of interest why on earth did you recommend one? as they are now so out of date, both in technology and energy efficiency, and add to that the fact that they are open flued and have awful looking fire attachments.

The mOre QUOTES the better.

Don't take it as gospel, but I was told this week that bbu's have had a reprieve for another 2 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back