BRITONY CHAFFOTEAUX&MAURY 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just wondered if you could help me please, my house is feezing cold, ive got no heating and I have 2 small young children

My boiler is playing up, ive got no heating, but the hot water works, the pressure has been really low previously and I topped it up by letting more water into the system, water is dripping from the pipe outside. for the last 2 days my radiators have been stone cold and the pressure is low, its been running below 1 bar for a while.

Ive had a plumber come out and he said it could possibly be the pump or the cuircuit board, plus the expansion valve has gone, he also said this boiler is not suitable for my house as its too small, ive got 11 radiators to run.

Im a women by myself and I dont know what to think, would it be worth me getting another boiler if its not sufficent? or get the repairs carried out?

Does this sound like a common problem and is there anyone that could advise me please!! Thankyou!!

Julie.

Sponsored Links
Is this a britony?

Chances are its neither the pump or circuit board as these in most case would affect the hot water aswell.

You need to make sure the clock and roomstat are calling for heat which involves electrics i doubt your man tested these.

Get someone out who knows about these boilers

Morning, yes it is a britony.

I havent got a room thermostat, ive got valves on the radiators, he said the water runs of a different system with these boilers, thats why I have hot water.

Do you think it could be just the pressure valve that has gone? Also the boiler just keeps on running even if I switch it to the off position where you can either have it on timer or on all the time. the pilot light seems to light up for a couple of seconds then it goes out, when it was working my water used to run from hot to cold when i was in the bath!

Julie.

So when you put the heating on itr fires up for a few seconds but then cuts out but sounds like its always running.

To me it sounds like the diverter valve in the boiler isnt opening and allowing the water to flow to the rads.

Its located at the back of the boiler in the left hand bottom corner sometimes a gentle tap may cause it to open if its just stuck but it may need replacing.

Unfortunaltly i cant give any more info over the net, its alot easier when your standing in front of the thing!

Sponsored Links
Thankyou!

Thing is though you feel awful questioning his diagnosis! Esp with me being a women! lol.

Thanks for your help, im going to try and have a look myself now and try and locate it!

Julie.

ha, ha, who am i kidding, dont even know what it looks like! better not go messing with it, got no idea what im looking for! It looks too complicated!

Julie.

If it fires up for about 7 seconds then gos out it's usually the pcbs. Chaffoteaux say they need to be replaced as a pair. If you need some pm me, I have a spare pair and rarely see britonys.

Hi, had a guy out and he has replaced the diverter valve and also one of the circuit boards which apparantly was faulty as well.
thanks for your help guys, first time ive used this site and I will def return if I need any other advise!

Cheers.

Julie.

Thankyou!

Thing is though you feel awful questioning his diagnosis! Esp with me being a women! lol.

Julie.

Its irrelevant that you may be a woman ( not women! )

At least you found a competent engineer who knew how to fix it!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back