Brivis Wombat 120- Central Heating Pilot light goes off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can any 1 pls advice me if I am able to upgrade my current central heater to include an automatic reignition of the pilot light. I notice my friend's new heater have this function. Its just a press of the button, can reignite the extinguished pilot light.
If I have this function it saves me from going up the roof all the time just to re-light the pilot light which is very troublesome.

How do I attached a pic of my unit here?

Thanks

Kind Regards

RMT

Sponsored Links
Buy a new boiler, this will have an automatic pilot, which will light the burner when there is a call for heat. This way you will not have to touch anything - saves fuel too!

Thanks. Thats a simple but costly solution.

I am seeking technical advice on what I need to acquire to upgrade my unit to have this similar tecnicality. I'm sure someone here can advice how this is done?

Kind Regards,

RMT

I assume that your unit is a ducted warm air heater?

You dont say if the pilot lights but fails to stay on when you release the button after 30 seconds or just does not light when the ignihtor button is pressed.

The first problem requires a new thermocouple and the second needs the pilot checking and cleaning.

In the UK anyone doing that has to be registered with something called CORGI but perhaps down under you have KOALA or POSSUM or something like that.

Tony

Sponsored Links
....or WOMBAT......WOrking Man Baffled by Australian Technology?

Thanks Agile

Previously due to pilot light difficulty to re-light I had been advice to change the thermocouple, which I had done 6 months ago.

Now its not a problem to go up the roof to re-light the pilot light. However the Pilot light tend to extinguish by itself after 1 day or so of relighting & starting up the Heater Central Unit.

Perhaps I will follow your next advice which is " the second needs the pilot checking and cleaning". Initially I thought it could be the strong winds & Rain on the roof. But it happends on even without rain or wind.

Can you please advice me how I can check & clean this. Better still if it can updated for auto re-ignition system?

Still how to post a pic in this forum?

Regards,

RMT

Bump!

Just to let you know

Auto ignition of pilot was a MAJOR upgrade for this heater and upgrade of a prior model to this feature is not feasable.

Other upgrades included at this time
Auto ignition also included Auto Relight in case of loss of pilot.
Mechanical over-temp was a spiral bi-metal spring which was less reliable; this was replaced with the much more reliable (and less prone to nuisance triggering) electronic safety device.

I suggest your pilot issues caused by either of the following issues

1/interuption to gas supply (unlikely given the frequency)
2/down-drafting from too short a flue (must be 1-1.5 m above ridge or obstacles within 5m) -most likely imho. We never install with less than 1.8 m total flue. Over the years this has been almost without exception the cause of pilot loss.
3/The safety system of the heater can also interupt the pilot in case of major overheat. As stated earlier yours has a mechanical system which is usually reliable but -being mechanical could become worn or faulty (prone to nuisance triggering -but not likely). If it is causing the lockout and its working right then you have a MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE.

I suggest that this is NOT one for the DIYer and that you should get it checked out properly. You could extend the flue and see what happens. If it were me I would not wait and would contact Brivis/Carrier Service on
1800 335 094 or at least their technical line on 1300 361 295

PS I have an unused Wombat 120 XA (Extra Air) with the new EMS (energy management system) and automatic spark ignition for sale. I will be listing it on eBay soon.

sirplus seems to be the chap to listen to as hes from your neck of the woods.

but id love to see your Brivis Wombat pictures.

when posting notice the "upload new images" bit. you should be able to work it out.

Er.... the original discussion was about two years ago!

Tony

Er.... the original discussion was about two years ago!

Tony

yep
thats why I said
"Bump"

big bump :LOL:

reason I persevered is
1 there's not much on Google for Brivis Wombat
2 This is potentially much more serious than a diy gas nozzle clean -safety

If gas floods the confined roof space due to someone continually overriding a safety device designed to lock out the heater from operation -well if they do it continually until the safety fails as well then it would potentially be quite spectacular -to say the least.

PS-pics are not spectacular as its just a standard pieso setup in that one

still interested.
never heard of sutch an appliance & am just interested.
i live on the other side of the world as you should know.
i am familiar with local (as in GB & Europe) manufacturers & some of the appliances they have made over the last 50 years.
is there another site where we can see what goes on where (globally or just limited to the specific region ie Australasia, America, Asia) & the appliances generally used,who manufactures them etc. talk about the local regularity bodies etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back