Broad Band Blues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Britain’s biggest telecoms providers are preparing to launch inflation-busting price increases for broadband and mobile contracts this spring, hitting consumers with a combined bill worth £600m more than if these deals had matched the cost of living.

BT, EE, Vodafone, Virgin Media, O2 and TalkTalk are to increase bills for tens of millions of customers under “mid-contract price rises” from April and May.
BT and Vodafone add 3.9 percentage points to the rate of the December CPI. Virgin Media is pushing through an average 13.8% rise, although customers will have a month to decide whether they want to leave.

This week O2 will reveal the scale of its price rise, which is based on January’s RPI plus 3.9 percentage points. Given RPI in December was 13.4%, a typical customer could be facing a 17%-plus annual rise. The company said the real increase would be closer to 9-10% as it applied to calls and data only, not the significant cost of payments for handsets that are part of bills.

However, from next year Virgin Media O2, the parent company of both brands, intends to roll out the RPI plus 3.9 percentage point mechanism across its entire TV and broadband business, not just the mobile phone arm.

If the UK’s biggest broadband and telecoms companies were to limit their increases to the level of inflation, scrapping any rise above that, British consumers could save an estimated £600m-plus on their annual bills.

full story at the Guardian

Sponsored Links
Now TV broadband (rebadged Sky, IIRC), £20 pm for guaranteed minimum 65 Mbps. I check it with Ookla Speedtest, and it is 70+.

No issues with streaming services, xBox gaming, and WFH.

Three mobile, unlimited, £14 pm.

Shop around (y)

My Virgin broadband/tv package is going up by £12, from ~£75 monthly. I'll contact them soon to see if I can negotiate a better deal.

Had my notification from VM already, they're taking the mick. We're stuck with them unfortunately as they're the only fibre supplier up our lane

Sponsored Links
We're paying £21.50 for Vodafone Superfast 2. It’ll be interesting to see how much they put ours up.

Its annoying really as a new customer would get it for that but an existing customer will be hit with increases as a 'thanks' for their loyalty!

As we don't have a BT line, we use KC, which is £29.99/month (cheapest deal). Currently no alternative provider, although two companies have been digging up the pavements here to finally offer alternative services.

Don't know enough about these two interlopers yet to judge, but they've ruined various bits of grass verge near us, much to the consternation of the local FB group.

Last edited:
they've ruined various bits of grass verge
They ruined every hedge down my street and probably every other street.
Their mini digger exhaust 3ft above the ground burned a nice line along the hedges as it worked its way down the pavement the length of the street.

We're paying £21.50 for Vodafone Superfast 2. It’ll be interesting to see how much they put ours up.

Its annoying really as a new customer would get it for that but an existing customer will be hit with increases as a 'thanks' for their loyalty!
Yeah I'll be circa £87 monthly from April. Comparable package for new customers is just under £40. Thing is, I've heard that possibly depending on who you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to get on the other end of the phone, sometimes existing customers are essentially being told 'no reduction, sorry.' Perhaps because in the current climate, suppliers know prices are up across the industry, so that maybe gives them a degree of confidence to say 'if you want to leave, leave' although not as blatantly as that obviously!

Years back with Virgin, I found the closest comparable package I could (think it was with Sky) and asked if they could match or get close to Sky's price. Virgin didn't quite manage it, but they reduced my bill enough to keep me happy. Then it went up again after 18 months and I've not been ar5ed to shop around since. Will get on it soon though.

You also need to be careful cause sometimes they say they're reducing your bill, however they're achieving it by reducing the package you're on e.g. lower broadband speed, less tv channels.

Now TV broadband (rebadged Sky, IIRC), £20 pm for guaranteed minimum 65 Mbps. I check it with Ookla Speedtest, and it is 70+.

No issues with streaming services, xBox gaming, and WFH.

Three mobile, unlimited, £14 pm.

Shop around (y)
It's all very well saying 'shop around' but if all providers put prices up where can you go to save a few quid?
Any pay increases this year will soon be swallowed up by such price rises on things like Broadband, an essential service these days.
You make the switch to a cheaper provider and after six months you're paying top whack for the same service.
A 3% pay rise will make fudge all difference.

As I said yesterday who can function in this world without their mobile.
So now we've been sucked in to a point of no return we've all become low hanging fruit.

As I said yesterday who can function in this world without their mobile.
So now we've been sucked in to a point of no return we've all become low hanging fruit.
I can live without one.
It's handy, though i always find time to switch the damn thing off so i'm not at anyone's beck n' call.

There's a world of difference between 15% on £20, and 15% on £75 (y)
Yes there is. And it all depends which world you live in: the one where you can buy stuff without looking at the price and the one the rest of us live in, watching every pound going out.

My Virgin broadband/tv package is going up by £12, from ~£75 monthly. I'll contact them soon to see if I can negotiate a better deal.
Last time my contract came to an end and they put the price up, i contact them and they offered to add more services to bring the price down which was very strange. Adding sky cinema brought the package price down from £87 to £75 which is what it had been before the price increase.

Sponsored Links
Back