Broadband Filters

JohnD said:
No. in the UK final connection to the subscriber is with a copper pair carrying analogue. This allows the subscriber to have call waiting and CLI. (It's a funny thing, but the way things are done in the US is not the only way things can be done) It gets converted to/from digital at a local thing that you might call a switch or an exchange, and is very often a green or grey iron cabinet at the side of the road serving a few hundred or a couple of thousand homes. Sometimes the final link is digital, at extra cost, depending on proximity of subscriber to nearest switch. Most newsagents and supermarkets have a pair of ISDN2e lines. There are still lots of local "telephone Exchanges" some of them the size of a garage and some the size of a large house, mostly empty and unmanned now. They do not have signs on them to make it less easy for malcontents to find and bomb them (we have had thirty years of IRA terrorism here so have got used to it).

When you say a "pair" of ISDN lines, how do you mean? is this a techy way of saying "an ISDN line" or do you mean they have TWO ISDN lines? I know most of the shops i worked at have 2 ISDNs for Lottery machine and for back office computer to head office link, though the back office computers now use broadband. Some of the shops have a third ISDN for a system called IMIGIX, which allows a monitoring centre to see the CCTV in the shop when the panic buttons are pressed.

And JohnD, maybe you can tell me why almost every day, there is a BT van parked next to the green cabinet over the road from my shop? They always seem to be doing something in there!

Also, why is there 2 lines coming into the shop, yet we have 3 normal phone lines, 1 line with broadband and 2 ISDN lines?

and ninebob, our master socket was by the front door. When we plugged the broadband filter and extension splitters etc into it, the front door wouldn't open. :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
What I meant was, when you have an ISDN2e service installed, for example for a lottery terminal, it has two data lines. The original installation charge for the first line covers the cost of providing it.

This simple device enables the telecomms company to have another data line already installed and available, which can be sold at extra cost and higher profit for some other purpose.

It is I suppose possible that customers do not know as much about Telecomms as the telecomms companies.

The people pretending to work at the street cabinet are probably undercover police observing you prior to mounting a raid.

Sponsored Links
Back