Broadband Filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just subscribed to broadband, and am just about to run the wires from a telephone socket to the computer, and have the following question:

The instructions state that each piece of telephonic equipment should have a filter installed to prevent interference with the broadband connection. If I plug the filter into the telephone socket and then link the computer to the appropriate outlet from the filter, would it be possible to feed more than one telephone or fax to the other outlet from the filter without the need for an additional filter?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

It would be better if the instructions had said that you need a filter for every telephone line outlet into which a device is plugged, 'cos that's how it is.

tim-spam said:
I have just subscribed to broadband, and am just about to run the wires from a telephone socket to the computer, and have the following question:

The instructions state that each piece of telephonic equipment should have a filter installed to prevent interference with the broadband connection. If I plug the filter into the telephone socket and then link the computer to the appropriate outlet from the filter, would it be possible to feed more than one telephone or fax to the other outlet from the filter without the need for an additional filter?

NO!

In theory yes, but since everthing plugs into a bb filter (99% are plug in) then you can't connect anything else to it since how are you going to connect something else if the socket already has a plug in it.

just go and buy some more filters its much less hassle

I have mine setup similar to what the OP is saying and has never been a problem, I have a ren booster and 5 telephones plugged into the same filter.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
You are wrong, as reflected in your next statement.

breezer said:
In theory yes, but since everthing plugs into a bb filter (99% are plug in) then you can't connect anything else to it since how are you going to connect something else if the socket already has a plug in it.
With one of these (for example):
GPAD.JPG

Softus is correct - as long as you are planning on having everything in the house on extensions from the filter, it's absolutely fine. My own setup is as follows and all works perfectly - only one filter:

phones.bmp

Be aware though, that if you have other phone sockets in the house (which obviously would be wired from the master socket, eg before the filter), you must use an additional filter if you wanted to plug something into one of these.

Again AT&T didnt plan on DSL when they implement their ISDN system.
Your telco uses standard isdn telephone modulators, meaning, the signal from the pole to your external junction box is digital. There are modulators with ip addresses in your junction box.
Either ATT had to completely replace the ISDN standard, screwing every telco in the world, or come up with a legacy phone standard where it would be backwards compatible.
Basically, when activated, your tel-ip[ip address assigned to the telephone modulator in your junction box....this is what your telco bills...] gets extra access information written to it. Therefore, when given proper credential, it will activate the full spectrum band, and you will need a filter to have modulator recognize an outgoing/incoming call vs regular packets.

You have to have a filter on every outlet that you have a regular phone connected. You can also pickup a socket with filtered an unfiltered ports.

ATT had to half-ass this standard because the legacy telephone standard is 100 years old.
VOIP is EXACTLY the same thing, but much more simplified....

If your residence is properly connected using ATT/BELL standard. Then you have a star configuration vs a series configuration. Meaning, every telephone socket is separately connected to a central junction board. If its connected in series, as in, the wires are connected from socket to socket in series, then are are getting degraded voice quality and even packet loss resulting in a slow dsl connection which drops off regularly.

If your residence is properly wired toward the ATT/BELL standard, then you can just insert a single filter at your junction board....therefore, your residence will have dedicated dsl socket, and all the other phone sockets would be pre-filtered from the filter on junctionboard.

Generally, junctionboards come after telco junction boxes and amps....
These junction boards also allow you to easilty dedicate a different phone number to a different socket....

shdwsclan, it's very different to that in the UK - I believe you have your wires crossed!

I doubt that its different at all.......
To support features such as call waiting, caller id, and even dsl....all the have to be digital....

I am confident that this it is exactly the same in the UK...
Maybe the junction boxes are in a different place....or the junction board and junction boxes are the same thing....but the system essentiall works EXACTLY the same way....

Here are some images.....
http://home.comcast.net/~shdwsclan/telco1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~shdwsclan/telco2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~shdwsclan/telco3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~shdwsclan/telco4.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~shdwsclan/telco5.jpg

Unless the UK uses full anologue lines to central human operator stations, this is they way it works in the modern world....
My wires are definetely not crossed.
Also, using improper or untwined cable, or twining unused cable will cause insane crosstalk and bounce back. This is not a simple wiring experiment that can be done by an electrician as many think....

The house i bought is unfortunatlely wired improperly, and i am in the process of rewiring it. Also, a properly wired house allows for clear voice communication and easy installation of a computer controlled PBX switch so you can use your home telephones as an intercom system with one central answering machine....

Also, if you've seen my diagrams, you will see that the telco just uses a very complex voip system. Its the only way they are able to route so many calls and add extra services...like video-phone support and caller id while still maintaining legacy compatibility....

our phpne providers only give us one socket (the master socket) nothing else* there is no box with interconnections like you have.

* you may be lucky and have had an extension socket fitted.

but its also not uncommon to fit more sockets yourself, all in paralel

ninebob, i thought you lived in a high rise flat, why do you need 3 phones?

shdwsclan said:

To support features such as call waiting, caller id, and even dsl....all the have to be digital....

You're profoundly mistaken - it's different in the UK.

Maybe the junction boxes are in a different place....or the junction board and junction boxes are the same thing....but the system essentiall works EXACTLY the same way....
It's those differences that make it different. :rolleyes:

Unless the UK uses full anologue lines to central human operator stations
"human operator stations" :eek: - are you a robot of some kind?

My wires are definetely not crossed.
Well, a less kind way of putting it would be that you're just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

crafty1289 said:
ninebob, i thought you lived in a high rise flat, why do you need 3 phones?
2 lodgers :!:
I did think of getting a multi-DECT set, but the physical layout of the flat and location of the master socket (in the smallest bedroom - I have no idea what BT were thinking :rolleyes:) means that the extension wiring has to run through all of the bedrooms anyway en-route to the computer and router in the lounge.

Actually I missed one part off that diagram for the sake of simplicity - I have a fax machine as well! (which also doesn't need it's own filter as it's downstream of the filter in the master socket along with everything else...)

shdwsclan said:

Unless the UK uses full anologue lines to central human operator stations, this is they way it works in the modern world....

No. in the UK final connection to the subscriber is with a copper pair carrying analogue. This allows the subscriber to have call waiting and CLI. (It's a funny thing, but the way things are done in the US is not the only way things can be done) It gets converted to/from digital at a local thing that you might call a switch or an exchange, and is very often a green or grey iron cabinet at the side of the road serving a few hundred or a couple of thousand homes. Sometimes the final link is digital, at extra cost, depending on proximity of subscriber to nearest switch. Most newsagents and supermarkets have a pair of ISDN2e lines. There are still lots of local "telephone Exchanges" some of them the size of a garage and some the size of a large house, mostly empty and unmanned now. They do not have signs on them to make it less easy for malcontents to find and bomb them (we have had thirty years of IRA terrorism here so have got used to it).

Sponsored Links
Back