Broadband Speed Checks

what are you testing ON ?
what devices do you have on the network
What are the other devices doing at the time of speedtest
did you try
speedof.me
I have found that to be most reliable when testing various routers for people when i used to do support at home years ago
speedtest.net was the other goto - but it kept changing and did not work on all devices

some times switching off the router may help - and get a different IP address
leave off for 30mins or so and it should give you a new public IP

whatsmyIP
DONT post here
by you will see if it changes

Sponsored Links
eta - I am using an iMac with wi-fi to a Plusnet router. no other devices on line at the time of the test. The tests are carried out within seconds of each other so the network set up on each occasion is identical so I should get similar results which clearly I don't.
The wi-fi link is about three meters directly in line of sight, no wall or doors between iMac and router. The line is Fibre upto about half a mile from my router, the final half mile is copper wire which will slow thee whole thing down, but the set up is the same for all tests but different results constantly with BT indicating double that of every one else
speedof.me gives me 30mbs, BT still giving me 58mbs.
To be honest, I just don't believe the BT result.

Nop, nor would i
I suspect the speedof.me is close
on the router do you have 5ghz or 2.4ghz
Sometimes they are the exact same name and the device decides which to connect to
i log into the router and give the 5ghz signal a different name
then i get some separation from all the other devices on the network
I have had to use repeaters for the 2.4Ghz signal , but the 5ghz is much better - which is surprising, since its not supposed to work reliably at the same distance as 2.4

How is the imac connected i assume wifi

Between the BT speedtest, speedtest.net and google speed test I am not seeing a lot of difference, any differences are minor considering they will all be connecting to different locations even if they may be using the same physical connections.

I'm wired to my router, not WIFI as that can also give you varying results.

Sponsored Links
If you keep getting the same speed response from each destination (eg BT is always around 55mbs and speed test is always around 30) then your WiFi isn't the issue. If your WiFi can transfer at 55mbs from the BT server then it can transfer at 55mbs from speed test. Although that's not always true depending on some really detailed network settings (MTU). It's pretty unlikely to be at fault here.

Wired is always the best option for ensuring similar performance but in this case you're probably fine with WiFi.

It could be traffic shaping at the ISP level. But BT say they don't do that.

I think the BT speed test, like other ISPs, test the speed of the line to your router - this will always be higher than the speeds on devices, as there is usually more than one device sharing the router, plus wifi, walls, dodgy cable etc..

Jonbey - I get that, but the tests I am doing are being conducted using the same conditions and as such the results should be the same. That is why I ask the question, which one is correct?.

I am with Plusnet on FTTC. I connect at 39950 upstream. My setup is a BT Homehub converted to OpenWRT firmware router in the loft, that has a Samknows logger next to it, on the ground floor (wire linked to the above) is my Netgear router. Both router offer 2ghz and 5ghz wifi and have lots of things connected to the wifi.

Running various speed tests on my wifi connected laptop, close to the Netgear, I am getting varying results from 17Mb to 28Mb. The Samknows unit has a webpage I can log into, which contains its own speed test - that shows a consistent 37.6Mb.

The only way to get a proper speedtest, is via a LAN connected device, to a reputable speed test server.

Thanks Harry.
That is far to complicated for a 'Nugget' such as myself, but who is the reputable Speed Test Server?
My problem is, I can't understand how two reputable Speed Test Servers namely BT and Broadband Speed Test can give such different results.
I can't for one second believe the repeated BT results., and I would have thought BT were a reputable Service provider.

Thanks Harry,
speedtest.net = 31mbs
BT Speed Check = 70mbs
Thereby displaying my problem !!!!!!!

Is there anyone else likely to be using the net at the same time as you running the tests?

There is always someone using it in my house :(

Mattylad,
None what so ever , the tests was done within 30 seconds of each other.

Sponsored Links
Back