Good Value Broadband Only Recommendation Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this question has been asked many times!

I have a broadband only service with Talk Talk (nee Tiscali), which I pay £15 p.m. Yes, I know, way too much in today's market! My phone has to stay with BT.

I have looked at Plusnet, which offers broadband only, limited to 10gb p.m. with 8mb speed. Is Plusnet any good?

Has anyone any other recommendations for broadband only? I prefer to have a wired router, if this makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Woodbine,

Is there a reason why your phone has to stay with BT?

http://www.plus.net/residential/bundles.shtml
I have the Plusnet Value 10GB broadband and the Talk Anytime package, which even after the reduced intro offer costs me £27 including line rental, all calls all our International calls to Canada, USA and Australia.

10GB is plenty for me each month, I don't download video films or loads of music but do download lots of programs to test and several BBC iPlayer programs. My download limits do not count between midnight and 8am so guess whan I do a lot of downloading.

If you do not want the Call options then go here:
http://www.plus.net/?home=hometop
and click on the Read more info under Plusnet Value. It is £5.99 /m for 3 months then up to £11.99 /m after, unless you live in one of their 'Low cost areas'.

Not had any problems with them and the wireless router can be used as a wired router, just plug an ethernet cable (supplied) into it and your computer.

dave

Thanks Dave.

My phone is business tariff, and I get several features which don't seem to be available with broadband providers. They seem to be set up for domestic users.

I must live in a 'low cost area', as they will do broadband for £5.99 p.m. - 1st month free. Seems good to me. Will probably go with them, unless other suggestions arise. You appear to be happy with them.

I've been with Plus.net for ten years now. They've always been good to deal with. I'm sure if I shopped around I could do better but I can't be bothered tbh.

Sponsored Links
I was with Tiscali - till I got the letter telling me that they were changing over to TalkTalk and if I changed my phone and line rental over to them, I could keep my broadband at the current price I was paying - but if I didn't move my phone, it would be £5 per month more expensive.

I moved!

I'm now with O2 broadband - £9.79 per month for 20meg download and unlimited download - discounted because my mobile is also O2.

I would only recommend going to O2 if your exchange has LLU (yes, I might sound like I know what I'm talking about, but really I don't!!). If it doesn't have LLU, then don't go to O2.

You can check your exchange status here:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Put in your postcode, then your exchange will come up, click on it and it will tell you if O2 has installed LLU on it.

I pay Sky £15 a month for Unlimited bandwidth, up to 16Mb (in reality I average 13Mb due to my distance from the exchange). Sky installed LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) at my local exchange, so if I go with them I get the fast connection. If I looked at another provider, I'd only get 8mb - same exchange and everything!

I was with Tiscali - till I got the letter telling me that they were changing over to TalkTalk and if I changed my phone and line rental over to them, I could keep my broadband at the current price I was paying - but if I didn't move my phone, it would be £5 per month more expensive.

I moved!

I'm now with O2 broadband - £9.79 per month for 20meg download and unlimited download - discounted because my mobile is also O2.

I would only recommend going to O2 if your exchange has LLU (yes, I might sound like I know what I'm talking about, but really I don't!!). If it doesn't have LLU, then don't go to O2.

You can check your exchange status here:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Put in your postcode, then your exchange will come up, click on it and it will tell you if O2 has installed LLU on it.

Hi,

Totally agree with Alison, I moved from BT to O2 and never looked back. I now recommend it heavily and have got my parents and a couple of colleagues onto O2. Customer service is great, reliability is brilliant (so far, touch wood).

I've tried a few but won't be moving for the forseable.

Cheers,

Bret

I had to phone O2 customer services and got somebody Scottish! It was great not having to spell everything out and repeat myself 6 times!! :LOL: :LOL:

I have to say, download speeds are incredible compared to my old Tiscali. I've only been with O2 for a month but I can't fault it.

Sponsored Links
Back