Broadband - reliable but cheapish companies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get broadband. I have signed up with BT for a phone line which will be installed in 10 days. Companies like talk talk are offering broadband for about 15gbp per month (£10 for line rental and £5 for broadband access). Since I am already obliged to continue line rental with BT are there any companies that offer just the broadband for the £5 or whatever without insisting on taking over the line rental. It seems to be broadband access is a minimum of £15 per month, on top of line rental (also pretty much the same £15 if they take over the line rental as well)

Sponsored Links
I need to get broadband. I have signed up with BT for a phone line which will be installed in 10 days. Companies like talk talk are offering broadband for about 15gbp per month (£10 for line rental and £5 for broadband access). Since I am already obliged to continue line rental with BT are there any companies that offer just the broadband for the £5 or whatever without insisting on taking over the line rental. It seems to be broadband access is a minimum of £15 per month, on top of line rental (also pretty much the same £15 if they take over the line rental as well)
Should've gone for cable (virgin media) no bt line required and relatively cheap. I've been with for 5 years and very trouble free however i know lots of people that have had. Luck of the draw sometimes i'm afraid.

If you have Sky TV then sky broadband is by far the cheapest IMO.

For £10pm I have 16mb & approx 200gb usage.

Works very well & have had very few problems.
(every ISP has problems).

It all depends whats in your area for the cheapest & best speed etc.

Sponsored Links
I've been with Pipex business broadband now for 7 years, not the cheapest I know, but only had one problem in 7 years and that was when someone digging up the road in London went through one of the main cables to them, unluckily for me it was the one that I was connected to apparently.

All fixed and working again within 4 hours though. Super service if you ask me:cool:

i was thinking that we all have our own stories / preferances, but i am also thinking you do get what you pay for.

cheap and good in the same sentance, hmmmmmmm

TalkTalk is the ****test provider in the known universe.

PlusNet is cheap and good, and offers a package that pays for line rental and some free calls for a total of £19.98 p.m.

Isnt there 14 day "cooling off" period with BT? If you are regretting your choice, you may be able to cancel if within that period.

On virgin media myself, but my dad is on O2 and reckons it's fine. Plus, if you have your mobile with O2 it works out alot cheaper.
Was on Plusnet before cable and that was good service and support.

I'm with virgin, for £20, i get broadband, 8 meg? free incoming calls, 200 channels, don't have a clue if that's the right money.

TalkTalk is the ****test provider in the known universe.

Up until 3 months ago I installed broadband as part of my job from just about every company out there. And to be perfectly frank TalkTalk once set up correctly was easily as good as BT , AOL (ugh!) , Eclipse , Plusnet etc etc . The one provider who had a higher percentage of screw ups than any other in my experience was Orange.

FWIW, Sky have just removed any limits on the MAX package (£10 pm) and it is now "unlimited" in the true sense of the word as there is now no longer a limit of 220gb as previously. :D

Which is Ok if you download soo much you dont have any other life :D

TalkTalk once set up correctly was easily as good as BT
If your only criterion is how "good" the connection is when it's working, then there's hardly any difference between any of the providers.

The point about that sh*te companies is that they're incapable of sorting out the problems when they happen. And they can't talk English to you. And there's a huge queue of people ahead of you who are trying to teach English to the Helpline staff. And they charge you a profiteering call rate just to sit in that queue.

Sponsored Links
Back