BroadBand

ONe should also note that some areas have terrestrial (microwave)? broadband too. It is now available around here , notably in the hambleton district which are outside the DSL coverage area from the thirsk exchange. It might be worth looking into, but its a little pricier than DSL. Might be a good option compared to satellite, I imagine there will be less lag.
Seems a very new happening though. Don't know how many other places have it.

I have TIscali ADSL, they have services with no cap and their prices are quite reasonable.

www.tiscali.co.uk

I find that they provide a very relaible service without too much lag (ideal for games etc.) and the outbound connection seem to be at a good speed (almost always able to utilize full bandwidth)

Check for caps though. I would have actually used BT's cap during the last couple of days alone.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure if they are still in business, but about 3 years ago there was a wireless microwave provider in Bradford. Their prices were very competitive with adsl of the time (adsl was £30-40/month for half megabit then)

Oh, I mentioned Telewest to my brother yesterday, he had telewest cable modem until a while back. He found that their web servers were very slow, and he never got anywhere near the speed he was paying for. ADSL providers seem to be better and faster, presumably because of the competition aspect. Cable is a monopoly for any given area.

Microwave requires line of sight, and cable modems suffer from contention issues, i.e. the more users, the slower it gets, the same is true to an extent for modem users, but not to the same extent.

Eddie M said:
Microwave requires line of sight,

Indeed, Bradford was ideal for this as it has a big hill in the middle of it. Stick a mast on the top and it's all good.

I thought contention ratios were 50:1 on all domestic-use cable modem and adsl packages? Theoretically adsl should have a longer latency than cable modem (more interfaces between home and server) but it would seem the adsl technology has received greater investment as it is generally quicker than a comparable cable modem connection.

Sponsored Links
Sticking the transmitter on a hill whilst sensible doesn't sort the problem out, e.g. you could have a neighbours house or even tree slap in your line of sight, if so, goodnight vienna ! Contention ratio's I have to look it up to give a factually accurate answer, also with cable the connection is always on so security is paramount, even more so that ADSL "modems"

Eddie M said:
...... even more so that ADSL "modems"
Sounds like far Eastern taxi driver !! In Bolton !!

Anyway you have to look out E, Be watching y'all
Banks do not like bad publicity ... mud can stick !! So expect some ructions !!

P

These people are also far easier to recruit in poorer countries for example. A £1000.00 bribe wouldn't be that attractive to a UK bank worker, but to a foreign bank worker in a poorer country, who knows. I'm not suggesting levels of honestly here, merely that most people have a price (human nature)

I remember reading somewhere that Telewest were in the mire to about £10 billion and that NTL to £90 billion. Anyone know if this is so? :eek: :eek: :confused:

AdamW said:
Step forward, MMJ ;)

Not sure on where you plan to moor your vessel Adam, but this may alleviate any concerns you may have regarding your DIYnot fix! ;)

wireless broadband

Tho coverage very limited at the mo!

These are cool too!

satellite tv

As the boat bobs around, they continuously adjust to compensate!

Love gadgets!

Gyro-stabilised satellite dish?! SWEET! With one of them I would watch my Sky all the time just so I could appreciate the engineering going into my watching... should get out more ;)

The whole "always on" concept is a marketing ploy. It is only "always on" if you leave the cable modem/adsl modem on 24/7. I don't, because I am particularly sensitive to the high-frequency noise produced by electrical devices, and the router is located in my bedroom. But if I did leave it on all the time, my router would be permanently connected. However, it isn't going to be much use if none of my internet devices are powered up! :D

Wireless a little iffy ?

A mate is a radio 'ham' can, with out too much expertise hear neighbours conversations when using their cordless phone.

:eek:

B R O A D B A N D 500Kbits/sec from BT is UP and running.......
Crikey ... this stuff goes like manure !!!
Test on 1MByte download looks good.
BB-Dl-Test.jpg

Looks like the Cat5e cable is pulling it's weight !!

P

pipme said:
Wireless a little iffy ?

A mate is a radio 'ham' can, with out too much expertise hear neighbours conversations when using their cordless phone.

:eek:

Not if setup properly, with the correct level of device authentication and data encryption. Bear in mind a lot of sensitive data will already be encrypted over the https session using 128bit SSL.

Too complex for us mere mortals !! :confused:
Just wanna use it when we wanna .... without eavesdropping of any kind please !!

Look out here I go zooooooooooom Never mind the quality .. feel the bandwidth ;)

P

pipme said:
Just wanna use it when we wanna .... without eavesdropping of any kind please !!
P

They're are always watching and listening... I'm not paranoid, the voice in my head told me so!

Sponsored Links
Back