BROKEN BALL COCK

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Wizards,

I have a flat which is lived in by my son and daughter. I know nothing about plumbing and they know less. Recently, the ball cock broke away from the stick in the cistern. It looks as though the water is therefore constantly running down the pan. I thought it would have had an emergency overflow but could the design allow the overflow to go down the pan instead?

While I try to locate a plumber am I doing any harm by letting it continue just to run down the pan?

How on earth the ball cock broke I'll never know - nothing seems to be made properly these days. Anyway, if I slipped something like a hair net round the ball and tied it onto the stick do you think this would do a job? I am fearful that the plumber is going to arrive and say, "I'll never get a part to fit that" and then the job will become bigger and more messy.

Thanks in antticipation of your kind advice.

Sponsored Links
apart from wasting water, or the poss of the water freezing in the stack..

no.

Thankfully these days flushing mechanisms allow overflow to go straight down into the pan.
You could tie up the remainder of the ball cock stem if you wish - this will stop the flow.
A plumber will just replace the entire fill valve - most are less than a tenner and are simple enough to fit.
John :)

just thinking..

it depends where the ball has broken.. as im sure you can just buy the balls on there own.

Sponsored Links
Hi Xr4x4,

The blasted thing has broken with a small part of the arm blocking the hole into the ball. This may be getting ridiculous but I thought about trying a 'splint' onto the 'entry tube' on the ball and on to the arm and taping it.

Anyone out there on the floor laughing yet?

You can buy the plastic ball float, and you could retap the thread on the end of the brass arm if you want......
.....or buy a new valve, and scrounge the arm from that....are we planning an economy drive here? :p

Hi Burnerman,

The arm is actually plastic. How would I identify the replacement parts and where would I get them? It says on the tank lid Polypipe Kitchens and Bathrooms although that may not refer to the inside works.

It is not so much an economy drive as past experience - Great difficulty getting a plumber - get one - take day work - plumber doesn't come - take another day off - plumber comes looks says he'll need to come back with a part - take another day off work - plumber doesn't come - believe me, I'm not exaggerating - so, if I can fix without plumber ....

OK if its plastic, forget about a repair!!
Trawl through the usual outlets - Screwfix etc - and see if you can identify it from a picture...chances are its a Delchem, Torbeck or Armitage etc.
Fitting a new one is dead easy though.
I get obscure parts from toiletspares.co.uk - I think it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back