broken CNE?

Also no flickering of the lights as you would expect if this the CNE had failed and was using the pipe as return.
Which lights? I can't be 100% butbut looks like day time
However I did wonder about a set up given the apparent voltage involved.
It's not clear that it was filmed by a member of the mentioned forum, it could have been filmed by the house holders.

Sponsored Links
On second viewing it does look like a set up

The smoke and flames do not look like the flames you would get from burning metal so I assume that was the washer being cremated. Or was it an insulator ( elecrical ) inserted to create a gap across which a voltage ( higher than 240 / 440 ) would be able to arc across that was being cremated.
There is dark smoke rising at times, so "something" is burning !
It didn't look like daylight, but could be wrong

The shadows behind the pipes are "soft" and consistent with ceiling mounted fluorescent lighting - or similar.

Sponsored Links
I've never tried, but basically can you get that level of arcing from 230V?

Yes provided the available current is high enough. Once the arc has been started ( struck ) only a couple of volts is needed to keep it burning. When there is a boken CNE the path for current from Neutral to Ground via a bonded water pipe has no fuse or breaker in it. Current through that path is not limited by any safety device in the property. Switching off the mains switch will not affect the current.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back