broken CNE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek:
skip to 0:58

how could the water pipe have such a high voltage?

Sponsored Links
I wonder why the first instinct of the householder was to phone a gas engineer to come and video it?

Sponsored Links
phone a gas engineer to come and video it?

Maybe the gas person was nearby when it happened.

Lead pipe for the incoming supply and the local DNO Neutral disconnected would result in heavy currents flowing from bonded internal water pipes out to ground via the metallic water pipe. It is odd that the seal in the joint between copper and lead will have been damaged by the arcing in the joint but there is no apparent water leakage.

Looks higher than low voltage. There is some serious sparking going on.
That was my first impression. However, for it to be due to anything other than LV, it surely would have caused enough chaos/carnage in the LV network to have been 'noticed' and addressed before a plumber/whatever was summoned and had turned up (to video it!)?

Kind Regards, John

I had to test a house the had been subject to 11Kv, during a storm the 11KV line had become detached and wrapped around the 240v overhead, the residents said they were petrified as blue sparks danced across the carpet and jumped between pipes

the residents said they were petrified as blue sparks danced across the carpet and jumped between pipes
Sounds terrifying even if you did understand what's going on. I can't imagine how you'd sleep at night after that if you were not up to speed on what went on

And the relevance of that incident to the one purportedly shown in the video is what, exactly?

Some thing seems wrong, what was it arcing to/from? Loads of pretty lights, but without some facts rather pointless. With ionisation electric can flow through air with dramatic results. But this went on for too long to be ionisation, it would have been a big bang and flash and over. Looked more like a Tesla coil experiment.

what was it arcing to/from?

Looked more like a Tesla coil experiment.

On second viewing it does look like a set up

To me it looked like the arc was between copper pipe and lead pipe inside the compression joint.

The smoke and flames do not look like the flames you would get from burning metal so I assume that was the washer being cremated. Or was it an insulator ( elecrical ) inserted to create a gap across which a voltage ( higher than 240 / 440 ) would be able to arc across that was being cremated.

Also no flickering of the lights as you would expect if this the CNE had failed and was using the pipe as return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back