Broken earthenware spigot

C

ColinJacobson

In 1960s house. There is a wall hung toilet on the ground floor. The plastic drain stack is on the other side of the wall in duct. The tee is just above floor level going to the wc.

There was damp on the wall and further investigation showed it was the joint where the earthenware drain came in from the outside chamber and connected onto the plastic soil stack. Cement fills the gap between the plastic and the earthenware socket. The earthenware pipe is just above the concrete floor level.

A part of the earthenware socket was cracked and this is were the water was getting out. A piece of the socket has broken away leaving a hole. The piece can be placed back in to fill most of the hole.

How is the joint made up in this case?
Portland cement?

If Portland cement does it need mixing with sand?
Can small bags be bought from merchants?

There is some floor space around the joint to mound up any cement.
The toilet is out of use and the cloakroom toilet is being used.
Any input would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No chance of replacing the broken section with plastic ? This would give more peace of mind IMO :)

You can sometimes get small Mix-it-yourself cement+ sand bags @ diy stores :idea: You need a 1:1 mix . (I have a feeling you`re calling a socket, a spigot) ;)

You can sometimes get small Mix-it-yourself cement+ sand bags @ diy stores :idea: You need a 1:1 mix . (I have a feeling you`re calling a socket, a spigot) ;)

Sorry, the socket in the earthenware pipe not the spigot - I have edited the post to suit. Are you saying that any normal 1:1 mix of sand & cement will do? It does not have to be Portland cement? Would it need PVA mixed in? Would a PVA mix be needed to wet the broken earthenware and surrounds?

The earthenware socket is only about 1/2" to 1" above the concrete house slab, the slab surface is not even at the bottom of this duct where the earthenware pipe comes in.

Sponsored Links
Is Jetcem any good? They make a whole range of this quick drying premixed cement. Is one any good for this purpose?

Jetcem Sand & Cement...

Areas for Use
• Internal and external repairs to gaps and cracks and walls and floors.
• Repairing flags, slabs, stones and bricks.
• Patching steps and window sills.
• Pointing brick and stone.
Jointing earthenware pipes and drains.
• Repairs to ponds and pools.
• Setting in W/C’s and sinks.
• Leak sealing in concrete based surfaces.
• Setting railings and posts.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/images/pdf/technical/Jetcem.doc

There is also this. Jetcem Waterproofing Cement

Areas for Use
• Repairs to cracks and holes in structures subject to permanent water immersion
• Patching repairs to tanking & water retaining structures
• Repairs to ponds and pools
• Ideal for repairs to steps in basements, and areas susceptible to damp
Seal and joint drains and pipes
• Filling around pipes, through gaps
• Bedding sanitary ware (pedestal, toilets etc)

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/images/pdf/technical/Jetcem-Waterproofing-Cement.doc

Does anyone know if any of these will do.....that's if they will do of course.

ColinJacobson";p="1767600 said:
Sorry, the socket in the earthenware pipe not the spigot - I have edited the post to suit. Are you saying that any normal 1:1 mix of sand & cement will do? It does not have to be Portland cement? Would it need PVA mixed in? Would a PVA mix be needed to wet the broken earthenware and surrounds?

The earthenware socket is only about 1/2" to 1" above the concrete house slab, the slab surface is not even at the bottom of this duct where the earthenware pipe comes in.
Portland cement is just a name given to cement when it was invented :idea: because it`s grey like Portland stone . NO PVA. 1:1 cement and building sand is the traditional way - Jetcem is also OK but may need a mix of sand ( may not , look on the bag ;) )

Portland cement is just a name given to cement when it was invented :idea: because it`s grey like Portland stone . NO PVA. 1:1 cement and building sand is the traditional way - Jetcem is also OK but may need a mix of sand ( may not , look on the bag ;) )

Thanks. What the bags say is what I posted above. Two items of Jetcem say it can do the same thing. Which one?

I intend to have the cement bond to the concrete base slab, to give a bigger area of cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back