Broken fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just replaced a non timer fan with a timer fan and the timer fan will not come on.

Original set up.

Wall switch to isolator to fan.

The non timer fan only used the brown cable and grey (w/blue sleeve) cable. Earth and black (w/black sleeve) cables present but left redundant - I assumed this was left as a switched live for later use.

New set up.

Live: brown to Red
Neutral: grey (w/blue sleeve) to blue
Switched live: black (w/black sleeve) to black

Results when testing

Live - signal
Neutral - hard to test as its so close to live
Black - no signal.

I've removed the black wire to see if that was causing the problem but fan still doesn't work. However, when removing this wire and then testing it produces a signal.

I also changed over live and switched live but that produced no results.

Not sure if the following information is useful but when i tested the isolator switch only the the brown wires produced a signal on my tester. The black wire was dead.

Any ideas whats going wrong? I guess I could test the fan with a corded plug and wire up just the live and neutral to see if the fan is working or not.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
S

Attachments

• fan wiring.jpg
    fan wiring.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 187
  • Isolator.jpg
    Isolator.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
I am a bit concerned as to why you are calling this a signal. What setting are you using on your meter?
You will be needing a link in the isolator. It looks to me a Link between Bottom L1 and L2 in the isolator.

Fan wont work without permanent live on red and power to start the timer of the fan on the black wire. If you test, connect both brown and black together.

What wiring is in the switch?

Last edited:
No idea what " signal" means. You need to measure voltages present .at the fan. Do you have a multimeter ,and more importantly the knowledge to use it safely to measure mains voltages ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if the following information is useful but when i tested the isolator switch only the the brown wires produced a signal on my tester. The black wire was dead.
Did you switch on the light?
The switched live should go live when bathroom light switch (or somtimes a dedicated switch) is switched on.

SFK

black (w/black sleeve) cables present but left redundant
This should be connected to output of light switch or to light itself so that it goes life when switched on.
Can you see if this is the case?
SFK

How did the old fan work?

When the light and switch were switched on or just when the switch was switched on.

Hi
thanks for replies. Sorry signal was probably the wrong word to use as I'm just using a volt stick to indicate if a current is present.

The fan works independently from the light switch and whilst I was doing all the wiring/testing the bathroom light was on (it's on a separate switch).

I've put old fan back on for now, which is working at least and called my electrician (coming in 2 weeks) to sort it out. Adding an appliance is one thing but fault finding and messing about with wires is not something I want to be doing tbh.

Cheers for your help
S

Is the black wire getting power?

Is the black connected at the source?

This may be at the light or the light switch or a junction box.

as I'm just using a volt stick to indicate if a current is present.
These magic wands are pretty hopeless. To carry out any sort of electrical analysis you need a two probe voltage tester, or even a cheap multimeter.
An AC electrical circuit needs a live and a neutral connection, magic wands will not tell you if the neutral is missing and this is half of the circuit and (often) the reason things don’t work.
Also note that they can - sometimes - detect voltage, not current.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back