Broken immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate has asked me to go round his house and see whats wrong with his immersion heater, he said he's changed the thermostat on it but that only lasted a couple of days and now its stopped working again. I haven't done anything with an immersion heater for years and so can't remeber much about them so how do i go about finding out whats wrong with it and also are there any problems which can occur more often than others when deling with an immersion heater?

Sponsored Links
The overheat safety cut-out on the new thermostat has probably just tripped, and is reset by pressing the small red button on the top of the stat itself. Either the thermostat on the immersion is set far too high, or if the tank is also heated via a boiler, then it's taking the water temp high enough to trip the safety cut-out. This is especially likely if he has an uncontrolled heat source such as a wood burning stove.

Short of that, a sensible first course of action would be to check if a supply is present at the immersion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back