Broken key in new window..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi had a new window, all fine and pleased with installation until one of the keys broke off in a lock.. Had a fiddle but decided to contact the company who said there would be a £20 call out charge .. after a discussion over the meaning of the 10 year guarantee. they said they would get back to me.. they never did. I got the half of key out myself and emailed asking what parts of the window were were actually covered by this 10 year quibble guarantee? they replied

Thank you for your email and I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.

I understand your frustration but can I reassure you that the window is covered by the guarantee and should there be any failings with the product this is guaranteed and this is at no cost to you for labour or parts.

However, if for example, the window key was snapped off in the lock by the customer even though unintentionally, this is not covered.

I am pleased you were able to resolve the problem and I can only hope this does not happen again.

Please do not hesitate to be in touch if you have any questions or would like any further clarification.

The other keys fit and work smoothly without any force .. wonder what you window peeps think of this situation ?
John ..

Sponsored Links
All seems above board to me, if you bought a brand new car and then damaged an alloy wheel would you expect that to be under warranty?

However out of goodwill I'd of thought they'd just posted you another key for what they cost

Lol yeah I agree about the alloy wheel damage, that would certainly be down to bad operation of the owner...
However, I dont know of any other way to use a key in a lock other than to insert key and turn... lol .. and as mentioned the other keys turn easily too ... If it was my business Id want to know how the key (2 months old) broke and if I've got a faulty batch, Rather than leave customers thinking they did wrong to actually operate the lock with supplied key.
The attitude more than the cost really.. Oh well luckily they only get to do this one window..

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back