Brown coloured cable for lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know a supplier for brown coloured electrical cable? I'm wanting to wire in some outdoor lights and would prefer for the cable to blend into the bricks as much as possible.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1 or 1.5mm. You’ll not get 2.5mm in the terminals of most lights and switches!

Google is probably your best friend on the supplier search.

Sponsored Links
1 or 1.5mm. You’ll not get 2.5mm in the terminals of most lights and switches!

Google is probably your best friend on the supplier search.

Cheers. Yes the thinner wire will be easier to wire in I agree, as I want to have 2 in series.

Tried all the standard sites, Screwfix, amazon all seem to be the ugly grey cable unfortunately.

Twin and earth [or 3C&E] isn't really the right stuff to use outdoors.

Twin and earth [or 3C&E] isn't really the right stuff to use outdoors.

Thanks for the reply.

Can any "outdoor wire experts" suggest any brown coloured cable for wiring bog standard outdoor lights up. The cable will be run along the house wall. Doesnt need to be armoured or anything special.

I posted as I simply cannot find any coloured cable after searching Google etc tried ebay, amazon still struggling.

I assumed there would be a market for this kind of thing to help hide wiring.

;)

Indeed. I've done that a few times, albeit a bit tedious for longish lengths of cable!

Kind Regards, John

Yeah didn't till I'd have to stoop to such activities to be honest, can't do that for 20 metres.

Really surprised there is only standard grey wire to buy.

There are several standard colours, but not all of them.. As mentioned above, the flat grey cable is not for outside use in any case.
Look for round flexible cable , preferably rubber, then your choice will probably be black or white.

There are several standard colours, but not all of them.. As mentioned above, the flat grey cable is not for outside use in any case.
Look for round flexible cable , preferably rubber, then your choice will probably be black or white.

Cheers. Any shape of cable will do me, I'm just surprised there isn't a Tan or brown anywhere to be had.

If you guys don't know of any then that's answered the question I suppose

:(

Yeah didn't till I'd have to stoop to such activities to be honest, can't do that for 20 metres.
I've done it for pretty long lengths in my time - but, s I said, it's a bit tedious. Another option is to paint it1
It's really just a matter of (the lack of) demand, particularly for T+E cable (which, as said, is theoretically not suitable for outdoor use). The vast majority of T+E is not visible when installed (within walls, under floorboards, above ceilings or in trunking etc.) and, on the relatively rare occasions when it is visible, that's an indication that the user doesn't care what it looks like, and therefore won't be concerned about the colour.

However, as has also been said, flexible round cables come in all sorts of colours, including brown - but you would again need to make sure that what you chose would be suitable for outdoor use.

Kind Regards, John

I've done it for pretty long lengths in my time - but, s I said, it's a bit tedious. Another option is to paint it1
It's really just a matter of (the lack of) demand, particularly for T+E cable (which, as said, is theoretically not suitable for outdoor use). The vast majority of T+E is not visible when installed (within walls, under floorboards, above ceilings or in trunking etc.) and, on the relatively rare occasions when it is visible, that's an indication that the user doesn't care what it looks like, and therefore won't be concerned about the colour.

However, as has also been said, flexible round cables come in all sorts of colours, including brown - but you would again need to make sure that what you chose would be suitable for outdoor use.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. I'll try Google for flexible coloured cable then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back