Brown water leaking from the boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last couple of days, our boiler has had brownish water dripping from the right hand side. The heating and hot water are working perfectly well, but I left a cloth on the side underneath the boiler last night, and it was soaking this morning. Should I call a plumber? Do I need a new boiler :(

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As it is an Ideal, the probablility that it is best to replace it, are about 50% without knowing anything else.
If it is an Ideal combi, your chances have gone up to 80% without knowing anything else.
Where is the photo?
Is it a combi?

if its an Ideal W something, its likely gonna be a nice big wall mounted cast iron beastie. In that case probably needs new heat exchanger washers, but 90% of people turning up will tell you you need a new boiler!

It is a massive iron beastie!! I have no idea how to upload the pics of it. Any idea on the cost of replacing the washers? Do we need a plumber??

...I have no idea how to upload the pics of it...
Not entirely sure, but you could try clicking the button that says:

"upload pictures" :LOL:

in the middle of the screen, above the frame where you read the posts.

It is a massive iron beastie!! I have no idea how to upload the pics of it. Any idea on the cost of replacing the washers? Do we need a plumber??

IF i am right. Which in your case is quite possible. you will need a Gas Safe Registered engineer to look at it and carry out any repairs. Its possible the heat exchanger itself is leaking in which case it could be new boiler time as I suspect these are obsolette now. It might not be worth repairing, but worth getting an expert opinion. Not even sure if you can get the washers now tbh, might get something to fit similar. Someone might know, haven't changed some in about 5yrs or so. as i say don't be surprised if you need a new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back