Brown Wylex Standard Consumer Unit vs Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Warning to anybody wanting to upgrade their shower but not the supply to it....

This circuit was originally wired from a BS88 30A fuse on a Wylex Stadard CU, in 4mm² with a 30A pullcord switch, running a 6.5kW shower, then upgraded to 10.5 with no other considerations. The picture is as I found it.

Having looked at the cable, I can see it is heat-damaged: the pvc inner insulation is welded to the outer sheath along its length. The contact to which the live conductor was attached is no longer attached to the CU.

BurntShowerCableII.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm going to have to start a seperate rogues gallery just for wylex CUs destroyed by showers :LOL:

It's true - I have found this numerous times too.

A fuse or even MCB will hold ona steady overload for some time - and the fact you can get 40's and 45's for these boards is un-nerving too!

I also note that the shower fuse is farthest from the main switch - the largest fuse must always be next to the main switch in the consumer unit - well at least since the 16th and 17th editions came out. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's never been a must, just good practice.

On some of the old Wylex ones there was a higher rated way on the other side of the main switch, or one directly adjacent the main switch. In this case it was the design of the CU, but generally it has never been a rule but just good practice.

I also note that the shower fuse is farthest from the main switch - the largest fuse must always be next to the main switch in the consumer unit - well at least since the 16th and 17th editions came out. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Regulation number?

I'm going to have to start a seperate rogues gallery just for wylex CUs destroyed by showers :LOL:

:LOL: Here's another....

10.8 this time...

60AWylexvs10.jpg

And here's the 3036...

60AWylexvs10-1.jpg

Here's one on the way to being burnt-out. Look at all the 40A breakers!

OldWylexWith40A.jpg

And this one was used to feed 2 showers, one 8.5 and one 9.6kW....

BurntOutWylexBoard.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:

Don't think there is a BS7671 specific reg number bar the manufacturers instruction one, fuses in excess of 30A can only be installed in the first slot next to the main switch in wylex 100A boards as they are keyed.

Don't think there is a BS7671 specific reg number bar the manufacturers instruction one, fuses in excess of 30A can only be installed in the first slot next to the main switch in wylex 100A boards as they are keyed.
IIRC they can be installed, they won't sit straight and it's probablly against manufacturers instructions but people still do it :(

Filing the tab off so it sits straight? I think that would be classed as modifying it :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back