BS4343

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the advantages/disadvantages of using them for 230V equipment/extension leads instead of standard 13A plugs/sockets

Sponsored Links
Tougher and more heavy duty, 3 more amps, no fuses in plugs, protected at the CU - this last one is particularly good if they're somewhere that won't be convenient to get to all of the time.
Plus I think they're all splashproof. If not all, many are.

if you just wan't non fused plugs and sockets for inconviniant locations then you can use BS546 plugs and sockets (the 15A variety are very similar in size and shape to 13A plugs but have round pins)

the bs4343 (BS EN 60309-2/IEC 309/CEE industrial/whatever they are calling them this week) system of plugs and sockets gives a wide range of connectors in both IP44 and IP67 varietys. The 16A version is usefull for kit that will be used outdoors in all weather but not really much else. The higher power and three phase versions seem to be the de-facto standard for higher current hookups.

BS546 connectors are still popular for stage lighting applications. BS1363 is impractical due to a blown fuse in a hard-to-access point in the rigging, and BS4343 is far too bulky for such applications.

Sponsored Links
yeah i think they use BS4343 for spots of 4KW or above though

We use them for all our server cabinets at work.

We usually have each phase under each floor tile.. (so a row of three under each cab) we use 32a ones with a 20A breaker normally, but someone did fit some 16a ones..

We also use the three phase ones for some bigger cabinets.

Its a shame that our electrical contractors chose to use swa on vertically mounted cable trays as it doesnt leave much room.. However our other comms room in leeds (in a new office in the city centre) they have used 4x4" (i think) galvanised trunking and used 4mm singles.. Each connector is just bushed onto the boxing.. Much neater :)

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back