BS7671 17th edition Amendment #1 DPC

seems that 0.7m is the new accepted cable depth in a trench now..
any more than that and you have to de-rate the cable!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I am taking a leisurely approach to the draft - when my paper copy arrives tomorrow I shall get out my red pen!

Sponsored Links
Seems like more reasons for ignoring the regs altogether.

Why introduce medical locations? and why not other special locations or are they saving them for the 19th.
Why are there pages and pages about harmonics?
Why change a PIR to an EIC.
Why are they trying to make the regs retrospective by making the least onerous PIR code as "improvemnet recommended"
And whats with all the stuff about EMI, are they expecting a nuclear attack.

Its just a means of making money and all it will lead to is less observance of the regs - and rightly so, all rules for the sake of rules should be ignored.

Yep. A lot of that DPC does strike me as changes for the sake of changes. (or rather, changes for the sake of keep us in jobs) :rolleyes:

medical locations have always had their own set of rules so you had to follow those as well as the regs. makes sense to me.. after all I'm more likely to work in a hospital or dentists office than I am to be rigging up a carnival..

the harmonics stuff also makes sense.. everything these days is "green" so more and more stuff is being inverter controlled, which creates more and more harmonics on the supply, and harmonics can be a reason for seemingly random RCD problems..

EMI never really used to be an issue, but these days every third house has WI-FI networks, and almost everyone has a mobile phone so there's a lot more EMI floating about.
sensitive stuff needs protecting against it and, again back to the inverters and such, they don't want those generating any extra..

There seems to a concensus or, at least a large number of us agree that we are being treated as a cash cow, just think of the revenue this will ultimatley generate, and out of whos pocket will this come, yes thats right ours, not one penny of the cost of this will come from joe public because at the end of the day we cannot pass this onto the public. A new set of regs, more update courses, a whole raft of new forms, yes new, just wait and see. I am pretty glad I am a one man band heaven help you guys with 4 or 5 of a staff very soon as one poster said the regs will be chucked in a drawer and forgotten about and common sense and experience will prevail Ah rant over
up the revolution
DM

Wow, trying to explain why the odd multiples of the 3rd harmonic of the fundamental frequency is important is going to be a doozy.
The kids in my class this year had a hard enough time with R-L-C circuits and pythagoras.

What's the deal with these amendments as opposed to complete new versions?
Are we supposed to just make ourselves aware of the changes and declare that on any paperwork we issue, ie the relevant 'amended to' sections, or will their eventual publication require an update of qualifications?

What's the deal with these amendments as opposed to complete new versions?
Are we supposed to just make ourselves aware of the changes and declare that on any paperwork we issue, ie the relevant 'amended to' sections, or will their eventual publication require an update of qualifications?

The former.

I see also that with BS7671:2008 as amended to 2011 they intend to rename the IEE Wiring Regulations the "IET Wiring Regulations".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back