BS7671:2018 Amendment 1 and Amendment 2 DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has just come to my attention that Amendment 1 of BS7671 appeared whilst I was not looking, apparently relating only to EV charging (seemingly plus a few corrections to other things). It can be viewed/downloaded (here) , but one has to pay £5 to download a printable copy.

The above link also indicates that the DPC for Amendment 2 was published in September and that it is available on the BSI website (link provided in above), for comments up to 11th December (therefore very soon). I have not looked at it yet, but will do so soon and will comment here if necessary!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There should be lots for you to comment on ... Afdds
Ah :) I haven't really paid much attention to AFDDs. They might well end up in my same mental pigeon-hole as SPDs, but I won't pre-judge that! I need to learn, but I can but presume that the most they can do is limit the duration of an arc, since they can't detect it until it has started.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There to stop continual arc which can lead to fire
Indeed - that's what I implied.

However, that will inevitably lead to discussions about how often arcs (presumably always 'within enclosures') cause domestic fires - and I strongly suspect that the answer will be 'extremely rarely'! However, as I've said, I need to do some reading before I say anything much about this topic.

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John

I wonder who would start such a discussion. :whistle:

Get on YouTube if you want to see practical demos.
John ward and Dave savoury Dses

I wonder who would start such a discussion. :whistle:
I wouldn't start any such discussion - I would merely 'ask the question'!

As far as I am concerned, arcs are 'innocent unless/until proved guilty' ('innocent' of being a significant cause of domestic house fires). If anyone has a 'case for the prosecution' which is adequate to convince me of their guilt, it is for them to present that case to me!
Get on YouTube if you want to see practical demos. John ward and Dave savoury Dses
Demonstration of what devices (AFDDs or whatever) can do (technologically) does not really do anything to addressing the question of how relevant those devices are to domestic electrical installations.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back