Draft Amendment 3 to the Wiring Regulations (BS 7671)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I felt it needs a clearer topic title.
To download the draft of Amendment 3 to BS7671:2008, aka the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations, go to www.theiet.com/updates where you can also download the form for submission of comments.
For all those who think the regs are unclear/insufficient/contradictory, here's your chance to comment. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Sponsored Links
To download the draft of Amendment 3 to BS7671:2008, aka the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations, go to www.theiet.com/updates where you can also download the form for submission of comments. For all those who think the regs are unclear/insufficient/contradictory, here's your chance to comment. Speak now or forever hold your peace!
Thanks. It looks as if some interesting changes are being proposed.

At first glance ..... I note, with interest, that 'competent persons' have died, and been replaced by 'electrically skilled' (or 'electrically instructed') ones. I also note with interest the extensive modification of Zs requirements (to achieve disconnection times) which take (to some extent) into account the fact that actual supply voltage is not always equal to nominal voltage! The concept of 'under the control of a skilled person' (always very vague!) also seems to be on its way out.

I'm particularly interested to see that the proposed changes would require us only to "take MIs into account", rather than to "work in accordance with MIs". That seems to allow a lot more discretion, and might, for example, see a major downturn in the installation of FCUs and/or '3-pole isolators' for extractor fans!

I'm off to read it properly!

Kind Regards, John

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I felt it needs a clearer topic title.
To download the draft of Amendment 3 to BS7671:2008, aka the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations, go to www.theiet.com/updates where you can also download the form for submission of comments.
For all those who think the regs are unclear/insufficient/contradictory, here's your chance to comment. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

You do need to be registered to the site though to get access to this info!
Not that is too much of an issue as it is free!

You do need to be registered to the site though to get access to this info! Not that is too much of an issue as it is free!
You do, indeed - but, as you say, registration is totally painless and free. Indeed, if one so wished, there's not even any reason why has to give them truthful information when registering (it does not even do an 'e-mail address check' like many sites do) :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Some of it makes sense, that I was not able to do anything in regards electrical installations (except disconnect them if I deemed them unsafe or a risk to our network was rather silly!)

The reference to competent person was also a bit odd and led to interesting results where a "competent person" electrician was deemed competent to deal with factory HV equipment without any training! (yes I have come across this, fortunately the protection tripped our 11kV switch)
Especially when the DNOs have had for many years their own definition of a competent person!

How dare you! Are you suggesting I have been less than my usual succinct? ;)
Perhaps a little too succinct!
I'm inclined to agree. To many, 'AMD' is a processor and to many others 'DPC' is a damp-proof-course :)

Kind Regards, John

To be fair, guys, the thread was aimed solely at the pro's and others in the know here, who would know what "AMD" and "DPC" meant in that context.

I know it's a DIY site, but I was talking to the trade in this case!

How dare you! Are you suggesting I have been less than my usual succinct? ;)
Perhaps a little too succinct!
I'm inclined to agree. To many, 'AMD' is a processor and to many others 'DPC' is a damp-proof-course :)

Kind Regards, John

To be fair, guys, the thread was aimed solely at the pro's and others in the know here, who would know what "AMD" and "DPC" meant in that context.

I know it's a DIY site, but I was talking to the trade in this case!
SS, you might be surprised at the proportion o fprofessionals and even members of standards committees who don't understand those abbreviations. However, my motivation in starting this thread wasn't to have a go at you, but to broaden the discussion to include the "intelligent laymen" who sometimes whinge on here about the regs. Now is their chance to make comments on the Draft for Public Comment. The process requires that each comment is considered, whatever its source.

SS, you might be surprised at the proportion o fprofessionals and even members of standards committees who don't understand those abbreviations. However, my motivation in starting this thread wasn't to have a go at you, but to broaden the discussion to include the "intelligent laymen" who sometimes whinge on here about the regs. Now is their chance to make comments on the Draft for Public Comment. The process requires that each comment is considered, whatever its source.
Given that I presume that I qualify as one of those 'whingers', my understanding (maybe wrong) is that what we are being invited to comment on are the proposed amendments, not on amendments that have not been proposed, nor on other matters in the Standard. Is that correct?

I haven't yet had the time to study, or think about, all of the proposed amendments in much detail, but I have no problem with most of the ones I've paid some attention to, many of which I would regard as 'movement in the right/sensible direction'. I'll probably have more to say when I've had a chance to apply myself properly to the exercise.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back