Query regarding Amendment 3, 2015 to the Wiring Regulations (England)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I’m doing a rear extension and, as part of this project, I have asked an electrician to give me a quote for the electric work.

I suspect he might be trying to sell things are not really necessary by quoting the new Amendment 3 to the Wiring Regulations. Specifically, he says:

1) The existing plastic consumer unit needs to be replaced for a metal one. I’ve checked and my understanding is that this requirement comes into force from 1 Jan 16 and only if you replace the unit. BTW, the existing unit is relatively new, and has got automatic circuit breakers, hearth connection, RCDs and the appropriate equipotential bonding. In a word, is fully compliant with regulations current at the time of installation;

2) All the existing wiring in the existing kitchen, together with the new wiring, needs to be run though metal ducts. Specifically, he is proposing to rewire the existing kitchen and not only to extend the existing ring / lighting circuits. I’ve checked on line and it seems to me that the ducting is not required if PVC cables are buried in plaster cover of 50mm or more, as it is normally the case.

Can you please tell me if this guy is giving me good advice or just taking the mickey?

Many thanks for your help,

Max

Sponsored Links
1) The existing plastic consumer unit needs to be replaced for a metal one. I’ve checked and my understanding is that this requirement comes into force from 1 Jan 16 and only if you replace the unit.
That is true. It is not mandatory at the moment.

BTW, the existing unit is relatively new, and has got automatic circuit breakers, hearth connection, RCDs and the appropriate equipotential bonding. In a word, is fully compliant with regulations current at the time of installation;
All sounds fine, then.

2) All the existing wiring in the existing kitchen, together with the new wiring, needs to be run though metal ducts.
Not so.
Did he perhaps say 'conduit'? Still not so, but more explainable.

Specifically, he is proposing to rewire the existing kitchen and not only to extend the existing ring / lighting circuits. I’ve checked on line and it seems to me that the ducting is not required if PVC cables are buried in plaster cover of 50mm or more, as it is normally the case.
You most probably could not go that deep because of building regulations but if they are covered by an RCD then you don't have to.

Can you please tell me if this guy is giving me good advice or just taking the mickey?
Mmm. It would appear that something is not right.

Sponsored Links
Many manufacturers are stating that their plastic CUs meet the 'non-combustible' requirement, presumably because they meet the flammability tests of the product standard..

Fair enough and glad to hear it - but as no one knows what 'non-combustible' actually means it will be impossible for us to judge so...

That's why they are referring to the product standard. Don't forget, steel is combustible!

Many manufacturers are stating that their plastic CUs meet the 'non-combustible' requirement, presumably because they meet the flammability tests of the product standard..
The big problem with the wording of Amendment 3 is that it says that (as of 1st Jan) CUs/DBs etc. must comply with BS EN 61439-3 AND have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material. Many people interpret that added "and" clause as implying that BS7671 will be requiring something (not defined) beyond what it required by the Standard - since if they were merely asking for compliance with the 'non-combustibility' requirements of that Standard, that clause would be redundant and stupid.

Kind Regards, John

John, we've had this discussion already. I believe that JPEL/64 has no business writing product requirements into the installation standard, but if they were pressured into doing so, they should have referred to existing flammability standards.
I believe the term 'non-combustible' does have a defined meaning in building material standards, and I have someone looking into that possibility.

John, we've had this discussion already. I believe that JPEL/64 has no business writing product requirements into the installation standard, but if they were pressured into doing so, they should have referred to existing flammability standards.
Yes, I realise that, but it doesn't really answer my question (not that anyone but 'them' could actually answer it!) ... given that, for whatever reason, they were doing something that they probably shouldn't have been doing, I wonder whether (as their chosen wording seems to imply) they thought they were requiring a degree of 'non-combustibility' beyond what is required by BS EN 61439-3, or what?
I believe the term 'non-combustible' does have a defined meaning in building material standards, and I have someone looking into that possibility.
Thanks. That will be interesting to know, but I don't think it really lets them off the hook. If they were thinking/relying on some Standard's definition of 'non-combustible', they surely should have referred to that Standard?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back