BS7671 Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am not an electrician by any means, but I am planning a project which needs some special wiring.

I contacted the IET, technical helpdesk, and I got this reply.....

"The information that you may find useful is covered in BS 7671:2008(2011), appendix 7, item 4 page 408."

My problem is that I don't have a copy of BS7671, and I can't afford £70 to go and buy it.

If anyone out there has a copy, could you please let me know what that section says, or scan it in and send it through?

Cheers
Gary

Sponsored Links
Basically it says if you use a harmonised 3 core cable for intermediate or two way switching where all conductors are line conductors, you should mark the black and grey cores either brown or "L" at their terminations.

But it's not "special wiring".

Sponsored Links
Does what the IET said to you make sense now? ;)

What the response confirms is that the IET haven't understood the question that I put to them!

In what way is it special?

The project isn't actually an installation one yet - it is the development of a new product. I wish I could give full details of it here on the forum, but at the moment I am not allowed to because of comapny confidentiality :mad:

Why do you think your electrician won't know what to do?
I asked the guy that I normally use, and he said that in principle the idea would work but that he wasn't sure where it sat from a regulations point of view becasue it was quite a novel idea.

That was why I got in touch with the IET Helpdesk.

My first email to them got a 'Computer says "No"' kind of response. They didn't say it doesn't meet regs, they said we can't help with your question and don't know who could, goodbye !

My second email got ignored.

My third email got the response I posted originally.

Sorry for having to be so shady about things, but like I say I am not allowed to divulge much more info.

I came to the forum becasue I have been a member for quite a time, and I knew that the helpful people here would be able to give me some guidance.
Thanks for your help so far.

If anyone knows the regs inside out and is intrigued - message me directly.

The project isn't actually an installation one yet - it is the development of a new product. I wish I could give full details of it here on the forum, but at the moment I am not allowed to because of comapny confidentiality :mad:
Fair enough. There are plenty of people on this forum who have extensive knowledge of the Wiring Regulations, and lots of experience, who could probably answer your question - but only if you are allowed to tell them what the question is!

Having said that, you speak of a 'product'. The IET Wiring Regulations (aka BS7671) relates specifically to the fixed wiring of electrical installations - so I'm not sure that it's necessarily going to be the relevant set of regulations for you, anyway.

Is there no way you can ask your question which doesn't involve giving too much away? Alternatively, would you be able/prepared to ask the question of a single person (I have sent you a private message)?

Kind Regards, John

As John has so finely put, as you are developing a product for manufacture, it would not come under the umbrella of BS7671 even though certain aspects would need to comply.
You would really be looking at construction product regulations, British Standards, euro norms and CE marking.

These may be able to offer you some guidance
[email protected]

As John has so finely put, as you are developing a product for manufacture, it would not come under the umbrella of BS7671 even though certain aspects would need to comply. You would really be looking at construction product regulations, British Standards, euro norms and CE marking.
It transpires that Gary is, for whatever reason, concerned about how his product would be wired/installed by an electrician - so, in that respect, his question does come within the scope of BS7671. However, wiring issues in addition to conductor identification (which, itself, is straightforward) have emerged, and I am in discussion with him about them.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back